4age splutters and loses revs when throttle opened

xsspeed

Hey boes. just set the timing on my corolla at 10deg btdc but because its at cold start its revving at 2200rpm not at 800 like manual suggests problem is dissy is at its limit of anticloclwise range.

what is.happening is it starts and idles.fine but.if.i.try to.open the throttle instead.of.increasing in revs it splutters and loses revs then.either dies.or it starts to.gain revs slowly. when i release accelerator it jumps revs then settles at idle.

followed the manual pretty closely but open to the fact i have timed it wrong.

Open to suggestions.

apologies for shit typing my phone is on the piss

Is it a big port or small port?

To set it at 10 deg you need to bridge out at test connector (T/E1) and set at 10 deg. If you've not done this then the true timing might be quite different.

Sounds a bit like a vacuum leak - map or airflow meter? Does it run rough? I once left the map sensor unplugged after fiddling and it ran like a sack of shit.

Also, had one (smallport motor/dizzy with bluetop ecu) than would never run at an indicated 10deg and sat at an indicated timing of about 30deg or something stupid, never figured out why, but ran mint.

Haven't bumped something else while playing around like a plug, vacuum line, map sensor, etc?

Yeah normally have issues with this because the cold start is stuffed on most 4AGEs now days, and also the ECU will not go into diagnostics mode if there are other faults present. If dizzy has been out it is also common to install them a couple of teeth out, easier to line up with exhaust side cam cover removed.

Easy way to do it is just let the engine warm up to normal temp, don't bridge diagnostics and set timing to 16 degrees with idle around 850-900rpm

I've come across a few that i couldn't time to the marks, but still ran without issue. In that case just set timing by Ear & how it revs. Sometimes caused by incorrect dizzy being installed, for bluetop there are a few different types, not sure on later models.

Ok will set it back to tdc on 1 and pull the dizzy out and realign it and have another go. when it was idling at 2200 i set it at 10deg with t and e1 bridge. check light was blinking so it was in check mode. When i restarted it without terminals bridged it was still 10deg still idling at 2200. was checking for 16 deg.

i restarted it later and idle was at 800 as it had gotten a bit warmer. now the timing was at 0 deg without diagnostics bridged. and i couldnt add anymorr timing there to take to 16 as the dissy was turned fully anticlockwise already...guess that points to dissy being a tooth or two out.

• 2 weeks later...

10 deg with diagnostic terminals bridged, 16 (might as well be 15) without bridging.

Got it sorted, did nothing different tbh, just returned it to TDC. Tried to do it with dissy one tooth over but it didnt like that. Started again and did it normally with dissy marks ligned as before. Fired first pop then adjusted timing to 10deg in diag mode, and just fine tuned/guessed it a bit to keep it idling on hot idle (have been having issues with it stalling at hot idle - think there is a small vac leak)