brdflus 83 Nissan Skyline Coupe (KHR30)

kyteler

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, cars that come to Speedfest are awesome.

Also, my cheap Canon is fucking shit. My old Sony H2(3?) is way better I just can't find the damned thing.

Also, also, The 30 still needs some figuring out, it's using too much fuel. Waaaaaaaaay too much. It's also holding revs between shifts, enough to sound retarded and fuck with shit. Annoying as hell. Anyone have any clue about what could be causing it? EFi and Turbo stuff is all waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league.

Good news, the pulley is still on nice and tight.

Bad news, I want to take it off to survey where this leak is coming from and it doesn't want to play ball. Hah. Dumb.

Anyway, it does appear to have a crack in the timing cover, likely caused from the previous pulley departing, so I shall endeavour to remove pulley and inspect more thoroughly, would rather not have to remove the timing cover so will see if it can be JB weldedededededed up for king bodge styles.

Oil leak appears to be fixed. The front cover seal was cracked in a few places, I assume it had been hardened over time and when the pulley started wobbling to let go it likely stressed it the fuck out. I slapped a new one in and so far, so good.

Still having rev issue, haven't started on that again yet. Not sure about fuel consumption issue, will fill it up with gas again in the coming week and see what happens.

So we figured out why the passenger's window wasn't raising properly...

IMG_20130223_112654_zpsfaca466e.jpg

That now works well enough and I don't have to try find a new winder mechanism, thank fuck.

I've also put changed the tyres from those wheels onto the Z alloys so it all matches up again other than tyre size but tyre size is a better bad look than yuck multispoke rims.

EDIT, Wow, photobucket. You're being a giant faggot lately. The photo might come up at some stage of it's own accord.

I did something unusual for me, this evening. Installed a stereo. Having music in a car is a novel experience but I figured there should be something there for the long drive northwards that's waiting.

My brother found my Sony point and shoot. So much nicer than the Canon.

These are a bit grainy but for the same light levels, they're a million times better.

DSC06888_zps942a615c.jpg

DSC06885_zps028a37b3.jpg

So, wheels from Skyline, put on Sunny;

bogansunny_zpsb8c1c5bb.jpg

So fucking bogan, fuck it's feral.

...but it also means arch gap for Africa on the 30.

_R010250_zps0193f88e.jpg

_R010253_zpsfd7df081.jpg

_R010255_zpsfbee0a53.jpg

I scrape chassis to get into the shed so it's not going any lower until the proper tires are on the wheels, besides, it's still not running properly with it's gay in the face occasional running fault.

Tell me off;

http://oldschool.co....ght-that-khr30/

Little Skid;

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kyteler

Still waiting on my tires to arrive and a replacement distributor cap, haven't found my other spare and I haven't got the phonecall to collect the parts one yet. So, pretty much doing fuck to the all, waiting.

I did get these done though, pisstake of Ed's stickers, which he kindly gave me the dimensions of, I couldn't use gold, clearly, that would be yuck :P So, Silver and adjusted lettering for maximum loffles.

decal1_zpsfc59b23a.jpg

decal2_zps3de8c63d.jpg

He he he, I do enjoy it and it should look suitably hilarious beside Ed's RS at Nationals.

Discuss;

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/34111-kyteler-shouldnt-have-bought-that-khr30/

• Like 1

Guest kyteler

Tire size sorted (love you, sentra) now to remedy the height. Tomorrow perhaps. I have a feeling that I'm going to need to get way firmer springs for the rear which is a little worrying as I've no idea where to find any/someone give me some super hard R32 front springs.

8573111337_4d6a7ed2cf_b.jpg

Guest kyteler

So thanks to the tip from DJZ, I got my replacement distributor cap in the mail from MSA in the states. Put it on, made a very slight difference to the running but it still has the intermittent problem. Pulled AAC valve apart, see nothing out of the ordinary but to be honest I don't really know what I'm looking at or for, I have no spare that I can find to slap on and try either, sadly.

The shocks that durts sent me arrived this morning (cheers again, chap), I'll have to make modifications to my tophats to make them work so will probably get onto that this afternoon.

I thought I could hear a vacuum leak around the turbo area so I've examined all the hoses and pipes that I can around there and have found nothing out of sorts. I'll replace some of the pipes anyway and see how that goes, took turbo intake pipe off, compressor wheel looks clean and undamaged. There is a tiny bit of shaft play but nowhere near as bad as the spare one I have, so no point putting that on. There was quite a buildup of oil gunk on the outside of the compressor housing , I assume it's from a previous minor leak on the cooling side of it.

So, until I get it all back together with other pipes and bits and pieces I won't know if I've solved anything but given I've not exactly found anything, I'm not too hopeful.

Picture less.

If I can sort these strut tops today I'll try get the lowered suspension all in there and then take a photo.

Pretty downbuzz about it's annoyances.

Also, the driver's window isn't playing ball any more and won't go up. Cool story bro.

Guest kyteler

Still no picture.

Found my remaining parts distributor at my brother's place, put it in, adjusted the timing by ear/feel. Found the vacuum leak noise, fixed that. So far so good. Checked all plugs/connections, replaced some vacuum lines, etc.

Now it's just a matter of waiting to see whether or if it will fuck out again. Dag blastit.

Also, bought a twin strap extinguisher for Nats trackday. Affirmative young male!

I'm also growing quite fond of the thick tyre, square 80's car nature of it. It's pretty damned sweet. Even if it only comes down to legal height it's still going to look staunch.

Guest kyteler

I've lowered it, despite appearances it actually is lower. I know because I can't get in my shed going forwards and I scrape the exhaust going in backwards. Added a little Dunlop touch to it too.

I think it looks bad fucking ass, although I do admit it would look more badass with less arch gap, that's not going to happen in the interim. I need to focus on making sure it doesn't fuck out on the journey as well as lipping the guards a bit more as the tyre is rubbing on one side despite a little tappa tappa tappa.

8591960476_c74fcc5a9c_b.jpg

8591961784_d6539c1a25_b.jpg

I should have taken a photo of the other-side really, it looks lower on that side.

• Like 1

Guest kyteler

Also, it will still bite tarmac on hard accel, needs new springs in the rear to fit onto 32 front shocks. I'll just have to be a nana.

Also also, slightly related. I have a story for Ed.

I was talking to another R30 owner on the weekend and he was having a look at the coupe and remarked something along the lines of.. "With that lower spoiler and front end setup.. I reckon that actually looks better than the Iron Mask." ... He didn't want to admit it, but he did. You're next, Edward. You're next.

• Like 1

Guest kyteler

The suspension settled a little after the drive to and from Cromwell for the opening of Highlands.

8603330449_6880063290_o.jpg

You may notice the coating of bugs on the front. It was like a little carpet of the fucking things. I have no washer bottle so I had to pull over in Winton and clean the screen. You may also notice a missing letter from the tyres. They're rubbing under hard acceleration and cornering load, probably not ideal for the track but I don't have the time or money to sort it just now. Other than the intense squat though, it handles beautifully. The Devil's Staircase was a joy to drive when I wasn't stuck behind people, as was the Kawarau Gorge.

Things seem to be going OK, doesn't sit nicely at some revs, not of great concern but every time there's a little hesitation I get all paranoid about it fucking out again so I think that's the biggest issue. It did have a bit of a no spark crazy issue on the way home, I pulled over, it would sometimes rev freely other times not, then I wiggled the AFM connector and wires inside the plug and it stayed sweet for 99.9% of the journey home (it did one little half second fuck out but the carried on as normal). Will pull apart and clean a spare AFM and pull plug boot off to check the condition of the wires there too. Fingers crossed it's just dry joints.