brdflus 83 Nissan Skyline Coupe (KHR30)

kyteler

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally spent some time with my welder, lots of learning to go but it all takes practice, right?

I neglected to take any before shots of this side but I had to cut out several layers/edges/weirdness, you can see the first bit I replaced butts up against the loom hole. What a cunty place to get in and grind anything back, which is why it looks like such an abortion. Still, fairly happy with that. I have also already put in the other section of bent, curved shit on the right hand side of the shot.

IMG_20130126_171541.jpg

This was what it looked like from the outside;

IMG_20130126_171521.jpg

Once that was all tidied up, I cut a sweet pattern of the remaining hole and then slapped that in place with some plug welds for good measure.

IMG_20130126_182026.jpg

You can also slightly see the base of the A-Pillar, I welded a little piece of new steel in there too. Tomorrow I'll get started on the RHS where the damage is much the same, courtesy of Mr. Rust, except the loom is still in there sooooooo..... I'll have to be ultra careful.

Unrelated; painted some undercoat primer on this first section of prepared hoos wall. Needs one more coat of primer on there then the dun dun duuuuuuuun, Bokara Grey top-coat. That'll be funny/interesting, as it will be a dramatic contrast to everything else around here.

IMG_20130126_182701.jpg

Decided to head back out after the heat of the day had dissipated and did a little but more welding, until I ran out of gas... Guts.

Patch for strut tower, just needs a little bit more welded, then tidied up and the top skin made up and welded on...

IMG_20130126_205910.jpg

Tidied this one up after I ran out of gas.

IMG_20130126_212021.jpg

Today I got a fairly large amount of fucking about done.

I removed the motor from the parts sedan, removed the dash, the air-con, the heater blower. Inside the heater blower, I discovered this guy who must have got centrifuged to death.

IMG_0478_zps3e86b434.jpg

Hah, silly moos.

This is what the sedan looked like after a morning and a bit of fucking around...

IMG_0480_zpsdc8e077d.jpg

After I'd done that, I swapped the auto for the 5speed, didn't take any pictures of that, then I set about giving the engine bay a quick flick so it didn't look to terrible, but I couldn't find half my stuff so I had to go on a mission to get some filler and some paint.

IMG_20130201_181614_zps866fcb03.jpg

Shit-house but more solid than it was and most if it gets hidden by bolt on parts/pieces of crap so.... it'll do.

I did discover this in the bay of the sedan though.

IMG_0481_zpsd8bc3aad.jpg

Rust in the same place though nowhere near as terrible as the coupe.

So when I left it this evening it looked similar to this;

IMG_0485_zpsda7d9942.jpg

and this:

IMG_0486_zps5a5cd4e0.jpg

I got somewhat disheartened when I discovered the loom between the pre and facelift cars, is different. In particular one plug that leads to the ECU, has more wires in the pre and the colours don't match for fuckall. Guts.

I might have to fuck about changing the entire loom over, but if I do that, I'm hoping that I can still utilise the facelift dash cluster. Finding wiring diagrams in English for the L20ET is pretty much impossible. I've found one for the facelift in Japanese but it's of little use to me without the other as well as a translation.

Pretty happy with today's efforts. After a little mull over of the wiring in the morning, I decided that whatever the case, I'll be able to deal with it with everything else buttoned up, I'll just splice shit together if I have to. So instead I focused on getting the gearbox crossmember sorted out. After quite a while upside down underneath the car, that is now officially sorted. I cut and bent the exhaust so it wouldn't be in the way of the crossmemberand will finish the exhaust off tomorrow (I have to cut the exhaust off the sedan to use that because the coupe never had one).

I've connected and wired in most of the engine jibber jabbers, will mount the few final things and then start putting the headlamps, radiator, etc. back in tomorrow. Thankfully with the motor in, the front end has come down some, though not enough. I have a feeling I will have to change the rear shocks to balance things out for the time being, guard gap on the SSRs is going to be huge.

I was busy all day but for some reason it seems like I did fuckall compared to yesterday. I'm fucking knackered though.

34255859.jpg

I'll update with proper pictures later, working on exhaust now then I'll put the windscreen in, interior back together, final nuts and bolts and then I'll have to wait until next weekend to get a warrant because I want to take it in somewhere as opposed to leave it there.

Also, measured that I can probably get another 40mm out of the front. Aww jeah.

• Like 1

Lame update.

Interior is almost the only thing left, light levels at the end of the day meant that the exhaust took me longer than I'd have liked and it's still not finished. I put a big silly cannon on it, because that was what I had available at the house from my brother's 32 parts car. The muffler on the standard exhaust was riddled with holes and had been "fixed" with tape. Good one, nice.

I put the majority of the front end trim, etc. back on. I just have a few bolts between the apron and guards to sort out, they're missing the clips dag blastit.

Ended up putting the rear suspension from the parts sedan into the coupe as the 32 stuff in there was buggered/shit. Slammed the towball into the ground on gearshift during my tiny street excursion. Wasn't impressed with that at all so back to the drawing board there.

Heater cables are a cunt to get back in their little places but I have one left to sort there, would have done it last-night but a friend arrived, visiting from Australia so all work halted and catching up with him commenced. I'll get back into it tonight. Hopefully I'll have 60-80% of it back together before Saturday and be able to button up the final things and go for a warrant then. Fingers crossed that goes well.

IMG_20130209_080407_zpseaf80107.jpg

Warrant checklist;

High stop lamp required

Left rear tyre needs replaced

Rust in left sill

Headlamps adjusted

Not too bad, really.

I've sorted the tyre, just put different wheels on the back.

Currently fixing rust in sill

Need some double sided tape and a bulb for stop lamp

will tweak headlamp alignment too.

hopefully recheck today.