wtd help from zephyr/zody gurus

otazup

hey guys

i have a 70 mk4 zephyr. non-power steer

the problem i have is the factory cast alloy steering box is cracking around the bolts where it mounts to the chassis around the bolt holes. this problem seems to be common to mk4s. i am getting mine welded atm, but im predicting itll just crack again , and also wont pass cert and wofs etc. ive got 3 other steering boxes. one from another standard zeph, a zody one and a zephyr power steer one. all four incl mine have cracks showing in the same spots. i thought it might just be mine due to it being so low with fats on. but these other boxes are all from original cars that have been wrecked. two were running 13s on crossplys.

my question to you is either now or when you were hotrodding these back in the day, what did you guys used to put in its place.? im thinking one from a xr-xy falcon,or maybe mk3 zephyrs are cast iron and bolt straight up? i dont want to change geometry too much, surely something bolts straight on. fords are cool like that.

and by the way nothing is wrong with the rails,flexing under load etc. they are solid as a rock.

cheers in advance

jason

hey mate cheers for the reply. much appreciated. is this trev from out in whitby??. ill contact him tonight....also that brace looks like what i need except its a different shape to the mkivs box. does anyone in the welly area have any falcon xr-xc steering boxes i could measure and possibly purchase? cheers