Notchy Gearbox

Sambo

This is probably a bit of a lame question, but I've never opened a gearbox before so shutup. I have searched but not found anything specific.

The T50 box in my carina has done many KMs, (car has done 300+, but box may have done less). It's not crunching, but it's 'notchy' going into 2nd and refuses to downshift to 2nd (or 1st) without serious jiggling between 1st and 2nd positions. I've been driving like this for 15 000kms and it hasn't got any worse, but it's annoying. It was also embarrassing getting into a mates mint as car and jiggling between 1st and 2nd like a spaz for no reason.

I'm not worried about opening the box myself, but what is likely to be broken/worn and what will parts cost?

Cheers.

i had the 2nd gear issue, up change fine but impossible to down change to 2nd unless you tap 1st get then into 2nd

first time had it apart found a broken synro ring. replaced but still had same problem

2nd time apart i flipped the selector ring, so the worn side its on first gear and the nice unraped 1st gear side does 2nd. i also swapped all the selector forks from another box. i couldnt see anything wrong with the ones i removed though.

works good now. other than change down to first is a bit notchy. not that it matters

so yeh not that easy to fix, as need to press/remove all the other gears off the shaft to get to 1st&2nd

i'd split the case(easy job on t50)and visually check it to start with. check wear/damage on synro's and selector forks/shafts. just watch out when removing the input shaft, as when you pull it off the output shaft, the roller bearings will go everywhere!

Not T50 specific as it looks like KPR has that covered: BUT I would be tempted to give it a new gut of oil, something semi synthetic, it probably wont fully cure the problem but it may assist with the notchy feel a bit.

yeh kinda sounds more like something is damaged rather than just worn. mine started doing it after a manji day, was bashing between 1st and 2nd all day. didn't notice anything wrong till tried to downshift to 2nd on the way home. up still worked perfect along with everything else. i was kinda expecting to see a broken selector shaft or fork when i pulled it apart.

i googled the shit out of it, and come up with a few people having the same issue with t50's. but no one had solutions..

Ahh. Cheers guys, much appreciated, I'll look into it once the box is out. I've got a spare w55 to swap in once I find the appropriate xmember and dshaft (W5* to *A6* if anyone has them!), but it'd be nice to know I had an OK-ish T50 for future projects.

I'd like a 7AFE KE70 as a daily :P

t50 far more awesome than w55. unless you need the extra strength

Not behind a 1S-U I don't :lol:

Even if I don't replace it, 85 is not all that far away from being daily-able to replace the wag, so will see at that stage I guess.