Auto g-box problem

77magnum13hundy

Hey my daily's got this lil thing where you drive along and the overdrive dont kick in till 3 mins down the road.

I drive a 94 toyota curren and just wondering how they work?

Do they run off a built up of pressure or is it connected to the speed sensor/rpms/ecu to activate a solinoid or summit?

Car usually does 2200 rpm at 100 km with overdrive and when it dont work it feels like im ringing it out at 3500 same speed.

If there was a simple fix that'd be sweet, i think the boxes are bout 80 bux at pickys but not feeling like swapping a box out just for that...

Cheers

that's completely normal for a Toyota auto of that age. They wont hook into overdrive until it's warmed to optimum operating temperature. It's controlled by a water temp sensor in the cooling system which is connected to the transmission ECU.

You could try fitting a genuine toyota thermostat, I find the aftermarket ones don't close properly and still let coolant get through therefore taking a longer time to warm up.

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP

Also I did the head gasket on this thing in the weekend, went to time it when it was in diagnostics mode and got 2 short flashes and a long flash / 21? When i clicked my O/D button on it started to flash... googling topic strength isnt very good... ST206 3s-fe Does any one know what this fault would be?