4K running REALLY pooz.

Aaron

Hey guys, just a tech question.

My car tends to overheat (the fact it doesn't have a working radiator fan), and the way I overcome that is by driving (motorway mostly).

Now I think I have completly buggered the car. I drove out to Otahuhu from the Shore to pick up some tires, and realized it was overheating.

So naturally I jumped on the motorway to cure this issue.

On my way home the car started spluttering and eventually died. When I tried to start it again, it wouldnt turn over. I had just had the plugs,leads and points done so I didnt suspect them to be faulty.

So, I was thinking, I had encountered this problem on my Charade, and found out it was a blown head gasket.

Now the car is at the mechanics getting checked out (not fixed yet), but I was wondering how much this thing is to fix usually?

Thanks in advance. :salute:

When I tried to start it again, it wouldnt turn over

That could be a number of things, one of which is a bore full of water, but quite possibly a dying, and now dead battery*

*Assuming you mean that the engine would not rotate when you engaged the ignition key.

You will not get a decent answer here without more diagnostics. The possible causes of the symptoms you describe range from minor to terminal. Good luck with the mechanic.

Yeah heaps.

Thinking about it now, when I pulled over, I straight away opened the bonnet (note: no smoke at all) and felt the radiator cap. It was cold.

Also when the AA dude arrived, he checked the dizzy (which was fine) and noticed a bit of a leak in a pipe that is right on top of the spark plugs.

Now I've done a bit of research (and correct me if im wrong) but if water leaks into the spark plug gap, wont that make the car start but not crank over?

Thanks all.

was it hot when it stopped?

could of been heat seized....

sorry but if you knowingly drive round without any engine cooling you risk cooking the shit out of it.

seeing as youve taken it to a mechanic,and maybe paid for a towie...factor in a used motor you will most likely be looking at $1000 +

if its just the head gasket then it would be just under that at a guess,depending how many smoko breaks the mechanics charges you for..

if the radiator/engine was super cold when you stopped...and it then wouldn't crank when you tried to restart then maybe you had alternator death followed by drainage of battery then weaker and weaker spark = unburnt fuel, similar to running super rich = cold engine

-i've had that happen before.

Oh sweet! Thanks for all that.

I went and had a chat with the mechanic this morning, and he had quick look over the car and said it could possibly be the coil or frost plug?

But thanks for all that info.