The art of pipe benders etc...?

Seedy Al

I bought a pro tools bender from cardwells for bending roll cage tubing and they are the real deal. but as danger said the dies are what kill the budget, I'm unsure on the prices for the smaller dies for bike size tubing but i payed around the 500 mark for each die needed (2 for roll cages, 1 1/2 and 1 3/4).the bender itself was about the same price. if you are on a budget and have the skills to build quality shit, i'd say buy the dies you need and then build a bender yourself, shit I could even send you plans of mine if you ended up with pro tools stuff. you could try making the dies yousrelf if you have access to a decent lathe but the chunks of steel need are probly worth abit anyway.

I have been considering buying one of these Protooll benders

they look fucken good

But Holy fuck, are you Seroius about the Dies them selves being Fucken $500 each!!!!!!

Sure i could get those cheaper out of the states or something!!!!!!!!

however i see there is another tube bender that does up to 1 inch for $300

this may in fact do wha i need, as most bikes these days are biult out of smaller than 1 inch anyway

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the prices are rediculous! I actually found the receipt and they are a little less than 500 but still not cheap. i tried to import them direct but the cost was not really any cheaper than to get straight from cardwells and then there was the wait while they were shipped. the way i looked at it was i needed a cage anyway and if i payed some one to do it it was guna be up around the cost to go buy the bender so why not just do it myself :wink:

If its only bike frames your wanting to build i would look at building a bender or maybe even modifying a cheap one as the crush involved in bending tube is not guna be as critical as it is with roll cage building so you should be able to get away with something lower quality. i did find a real good article on a guy that built his own bender and dies, i'll see if i can dig it up, just need to remember what forum i saw it on.