EURON8's LADA 1500/VAZ 2103/Жигули

This happened on Saturday.

4203DE6C-80BA-43D9-8F48-798DED5734A3.jpg

F91928AC-6FD4-4105-85A6-F4F336061EED.jpg

I ordered a carb rebuild kit so once it had shown up and i pulled the carb off and took it home.

I spent yesterday tearing it down and cleaning it up

Unfortunately it would would appear i not only have the wrong kit but also it came sans a few parts needed.

I have spent the day today trying to figure out what bits i do need.

The model number on my carb doesn't match the images shown on google but does match a carb of a different number.

Have sent an email off to the parts supplier so we will see what happens with that tomorrow.

FAD27D4B-490F-4260-8101-01C6FD76050F.jpg

Excuse the terrible images.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Birthday time.

For the first few months of this year were a little unhealthy for my girl.

Refused to idle

Chewed through the gas (like a tank on a semi decent afternoon cruise)

Smoked horribly

Fuel drained back meaning every start after sitting a few days meant lots of manual prime and cranking but this has been a long serving complaint.

So a couple of months back i heard an automotive podcast where a caller had similiar complaints to my fuel issue and the experts solution was a carb rebuild as the likely cause was a spilt accel. pump diaphragm. I thought this might be also causing my high fuel usage and smoke screen.

Last post was left with me hunting out a better rebuild kit.

As the original kit supplier didnt have any other options I looked toward google for help. I found a full kit in Denmark for a very reasonable price. It was ordered and delivered promptly.

I set about putting it all back together, with a little cross referencing between my Haynes manual, google sourced parts list drawings and the cars manual i had it all back together and found the air idle jet (?) holder (and jet) was missing. Luckily i still had a carb from punkoutnz and he let me nick the appropriate screw housing. 

Before the carb went back on, it needed the blown out gasket between the Exhaust manifold and pipe replaced.

The engine is bloody tight for space and the brass nuts were on pretty tight. Snapped 3 of the 4 studs (1 was already broken)

Stuff it, Removed inlet and exhaust manifolds.

While i waited for new gaskets to come and time to go work on the care i cleaned a few things up and got new studs for the exhaust manifold.

Carb rebuilt and together

Manifold cleaned

Spill tray painted

14.jpg

Early last week saw everything ready to go so reassembly began.

Wednesday night she was started again. But with OS Monthly Meet time approaching, the carb still needing to be dialed in and a dark,wet night it was left.

Untill today!

With the help of James (punkoutnz) we had fresh oil and filter in and on. The leaky carb/fuel line fixed up (remember kids, Always check to make sure the screws holding the carb pieces together are tight... oops)

Fired her up and idled up to temp.

James fiddled some screws and we had the carb dialed in and idling smooth.

TEST DRIVE TIME!!!

No hesitation on accel!!!

No smoke screen on idle!!!

Did over 70odd KMs today and the fuel guage is still up by full!!!!

Slight miss or rev fluctuation at idle or constant rpm cruising. Points and plugs are on the list for tomorrow anyway.

Clutch fluid is running away and was almost empty today making for tricky shifts. Topped up the fluid when i brought it home tonight so will see how it goes on the way to work tomorrow morning. Going to bleed the system as well.

Right the important part.

PICTURES!!!

I didnt take any of it reassembled :)

I will tomorrow i promise!

Oh, and thanks to Ed (orionfels) who took a wee shopping list with him to the states and brought me back a wee goody bag of treats from Mooneyes!

• Like 3

Pictures as promised.

Proof it left the garage. This wasn't taken after it was just pushed out! (it was taken just before we pushed it back in ;) )

15.jpg

New plugs ready to go. Book called for BP6ES, Currently has BP4ES, I have no idea about this but my parts guy reckon 4s are pretty hot and probably too much for her. So we went with 5s :) Middle ground fence sitting for life!! 

16.jpg

Clean manifold and carb on. 

18.jpg

Oh and sparkly blue rocker cover! because why not. 

17.jpg

wow contrast much. 

• Like 8