Mazda series 6 gearbox shifter relocation.

R100

Yes it can be done, but its not quite as straight forward as doing it to an FC gbox. You have to cut and shorten the shifter linkage, and then remount the surrounding cup, but it can be done. A mate did it to his one after moving the engine back abit in his FD. Im not sure where he bolted the surrounding cup to tho when he moved it..

• 2 years later...

Can anyone else shed any light on this. Pictures are always awsum. Also whats a stronger box, a series 4 or 5 or batman style box. Need something to bolt up to my 20b but dont want the shifter comming up under my armpit

Housings are interchangeable, word is they are the same internally strength wise but just the fd ones have double syncros (also newer).

I brought a series 4 box broken for the bellhousing along with the tail housing and will swap this onto a batty box as soon as I find a reasonably priced one.

Imput shaft has to be shortened and a selector shaft lengthened to make the reverse sensor work.

Be worth it to end up with a gwarbox the same length as an old school rx gearbox but 20 years newer

• Like 1

I could just go out and purchase a series 4/5 (FC) box but there pushing 20 to 25 years old now and guaranteed to be well thrashed. 

Lots of FD boxes round and still be purchased as fresh imports with low K's. 

Ideally i want a shifter position 740mm from where the bell housing bolts up. 

Whats the difference between an FC or FD bellhousing ? Is it the starter position ?

Do the FD's run a pull type clutch ?

Whats a fair price to pay for an FD box ?

Fd3s is pull clutch , however my plan is to swap the fc bellhousing onto the box and shorten the input shaft 18mm. Then I can run a normal push clutch which I already have.

Im looking for a fd box and prepared to pay 450ish for a good one as ill have it mostly apart to swap the housings anyway, otherwise ill fork out a the rebuilt one local (arond the 700-800 mark)

Think the fc box with shorten remote shifter was about 760mm

That dude was advertising a batty with broken gearbox about a month ago and now has a unknown condition gearbox.

Could be legit, doubt it tho.....id whip the bottom of it to be sure it aint stripped.

His missus is trying to sell it to me on rotary buy sell swap page