pinto engine work

kkatl

David vizzards pinto book is more than half about the head.

I have [i500gt]'s copy of it here. It basically reckons that the ports are of a very poor design. To get the best results, filling of port floor is required. Vizzard is a big time head guru. So what he says is probably the best advice.

as RT mentioned, nismo capri has fucked with the head on his pinto. (Including filling the port floors) He reckoned he's seeing higher flow numbers than vizzard is in the book. But that book is pretty old. And numbers do vary from bench to bench.

imo there's little point in putting a cam in a pinto without porting the head.

Yes as the standard valves are way to small for the big port... however if someone wants cheap gains I'd recommend to go for a cam, fit big valves (bigger the better) and skim the head to up the compression.

Then I would send PK at Kennelly Cams an email and get him to do a cam for you, there is no better person for it.

http://www.kennellycams.co.nz/Menu/Contact.php

Damn straight!

ok team,my plans are to get this pinto and do a compression test, if it doesnt meet the requirements im going to get it honed out and re-ringed

with maybe a ported and polished head. im then going to slap in a wild cam, something more wild then a street cam but not as outrageous as a full out rally profile. also to go with the cam will be that oilslinger, and new rockers. if all is well and compression is sweet im gona just chuck the cam, rockers and oil slinger in and see what happens.

what you all think?

If the compression is sweet then that's the cheap way, just make sure you get big valves to go with the cam.

What are you doing for induction single or dual carbs?

Interestingly Brendan and I are running similar angry cams and his car with the quad carbs idles way better than mine. It's because the reversion pulses interfere with with the airflow. An angry cam for the road with independent runners like quad or twin side suckers setup properly wont be as lumpy as a single down draft. The 2 BBL down draft I'm running doesn't have the mid range torque that Brendan's has out of his quad carbs which is why I'm now looking at a independent runner setup, EFI of course.

David vizzards pinto book is more than half about the head.

I have [i500gt]'s copy of it here. It basically reckons that the ports are of a very poor design. To get the best results, filling of port floor is required. Vizzard is a big time head guru. So what he says is probably the best advice.

as RT mentioned, nismo capri has fucked with the head on his pinto. (Including filling the port floors) He reckoned he's seeing higher flow numbers than vizzard is in the book. But that book is pretty old. And numbers do vary from bench to bench.

And Day to day :lol: