DIRTY6's 1978 C331 Datsun Gloria

CUL8R

Owned for 8 weeks - took 10months to purchase it,

Been off the road for 12 years - still had 2/3 a tank of gas of stale old fuel in it, covered in dust and all manners of crap..

Gave myself a black eye on the night I picked it up - smacked myself with a strop, blood pissing out my eye socket.

Bought minus keys, was told the boot couldnt be shut otherwise you'd never get it open again..

Set to about cleaning it:

DSCF1316.jpg

DSCF1317.jpg

DSCF1318.jpg

DSCF1319.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

Found a key hanging underneath the bumper after the 2nd wash! Bonus it opens everything too!

Free battery through work, replaced the engine oil, diff oil, gearbox oil, clutch & brake fluid (Elf Oils) & fuel filter.

Chick mate helped bleed up the brakes! Crc'd all the hinges, and manually operated all the hinges & soleniods, hooked up a battery and everything and I mean everything worked - only had to replace 2 bulbs. Basically fired up straight away after sitting for so long - ran pretty good considering

Spent 3 nights welding up a 2 & 1/4 exhaust system for it, with a superflow muffler courtesy of my friend that works at autobend. Sounds like a filthy 202/70's race car, even did some celebrator skids after finishing the exhaust :lol:

Took rear seats into Wayne Patrick auto trimmers, who as usual did a superb job, recovered the top and bottom, but managed to save the original piping and vinyl. :D

Went in for compliance a Wednesday 12/10/11 , after borrowing two good wheels from Aaron. Failed on: Holed park light lense, headlight dipper to operate, frayed front seatbelts, rear door to unlock, Front mismatched tyre, idler arm bushes worn, grease all joints. - Not bad for a 33 year old car! Had a strong CBF factor on wednesday after compliance, so thursday after work I was up till 1am getting ready for recheck.

Nic'd some front belts from brothers EL falcon, new idler arm, various small parts kindly donated by all round GC Aaron. Thanks to Scott for the rides to pick it up both times!

First Wash:

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

After first polish :

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

Come midday friday (14/10/11) I found it passed, so Brock hunted through the catalouges, ordered up 4x Shorter KYB gas shocks. I ordered the front springs, bought the Reset leaves off brock he'd got from Jon..

Sunday (16/10/11) I set about doing the rear leaves and shocks. Popped my wheels on I'd had made up - damned rubbing, porta power was on hand to pump the guards. Fairly well clearanced now - will fix properly at a later date.

Monday (17/10/11) Car was fully legal, registered - recomplied & wof'd. Springs arrived, so after work saw the front lowered & guards pumped. Wheel aligned on Thursday at work..

Wheels are 15x8 nascar D windows, which've had the centers moved 1" (royce clive engineering), re-powder coated (action powder coating), tyres (through work 205/55r15 Bridgestone RE002) had to be seated using flames (have video)

Big thanks to my Dad, who stained the fake woodgrain steering wheel (off mark105) from a 240k sykline, basically refurbished back to original. Flauski for the center horn button

Rocker cover covered in black wrinkle VHT paint, brushed the highlights.

http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss77/Mr_Damage_53c/?action=view&current=MOV_0018.mp4

DSC_0019.jpg

Did the whole thing myself in 8 weeks, alot of late nights and far too much investment..

Small run down of people who've helped with parts/running around..

Aaron

Scott

Brocky

Dad

Chris (step brother)

Steve

Craig @ Elf Oils

Bring on the Nz Datsun Annual Akaroa Cruise tomorrow!

Discuss:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29853&p=722313#p722313

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Purchased earlier this year. so im going to Steal Chris's project thread, Can Mods change the name of in the project thread please?

also going to Copy a few things from my NZ Datsun build thread so bear with me

So spent the whole long weekend going through my list of things to check for the reason its idling rough.

- compression test-all good

- All vacuum lines are tight and sealed

Was a bit baffled/annoyed till i started playing around with this thing

dscf0861dh.jpg

Im assuming its the IAC valve (Idle Air Control Valve) can some one please confirm this

*EDIT confirmed as Air Regulator by DJZ

any way i cleaned and played with that for a bit and lowen behold it idled!! :highfive:

that was till i turned it off and tried starting it again! :thumbsdown:

so anybody that can confirm that this is the IAC valve that would be good

*EDIT confirmed as Air Regulator by DJZ

More pictures!!

dscf0865q.jpg

dscf0864d.jpg

Right so a relitivley boring pictureess update

After a few weekends fidling round with the L20 i ended up getting the problem down to a few things

1-Dizzy was considerable worn (shaft)

2-Was missing a tiny air control screw

3-Throttle body was dirty

Put in the missing screw, took of the intake and cleaned that, new points and it started idling reasonably well but because of the shaft was worn it was retarding and advancing so wasn't as good as could be

I finally located another Dizzy (of Aaron) the weekend i was going to go pick it up the head gasket decided it would be a good idea to go :x ....so that how it is at them moment.

if anybody knows the part number for a L20A head gasket set or knows where i can get one that would be great i found this PDF http://www.hlgasket.com.tw/download/NISSAN.pdf just want to confirm its right.

So Finally some picture ha

Picked up the head gasket from BNT Hornby (cheers Brock)

dscf0932x.jpg

Come the weekend I decided i had enough motivation to take the head off. being the first fuel injected engine I've done this with I was a little worried. All this had to be done on Saturday as being St Paddy's day i was going to be very productive come sunday. i finally got it off mid afternoon after a few snapped spanners :thumbsdown: but was just happy i could being drinking my Jamieson's :beer:

dscf0931l.jpg

By d1rty6 at 2012-03-19

The Engine had Overheated so i decided rather than just replacing the head gasket and later finding out that the head had cracked i took it to Fleming's Cylinder Head's to get some minor stuff done. (recommend this guy)

Ended up getting

Hardness test

High Pressure Test

Resurface

General Clean

All up cost me $195 inc , which i thought wasnt to bad.

Pictures...Sorry forgot to take a before shot

dscf0927i.jpg

dscf0924j.jpg

dscf0923m.jpg

dscf0926e.jpg

dscf0928e.jpg

Guy did a nice job and it came up rather nicely.

so plan is to get it back the road this week/weekend so i can drive it again! :burnout:

random picture of it sitting in my driveway as on today.

dscf0929h.jpg

Standards & hubby's are on it because my mate borrowed rims for a road trip to Hokatika Wild foods and they don't look to bad if i do say so myself.

42160110150851113377837.jpg

Nathan

So thought id start putting this beast back together today..... until i decided it would be a good idea to check the water pump out while everything was so open

i found this ....Yes that is fins missing!!!

dscf0937z.jpg

which in time turned to this

dscf0936i.jpg

Needless to say it is alot better that I found it now rather than when the cars over heating again ....my question is how do I get the pieces that are missing out of the block?

Nathan

Shes alive!!! Finally got the old girl all back together over the weekend, fired her up and no bangs!! :thumbsup: so looks like everything is how it should be.

dscf0939f.jpg

Until........ I could here water leaking. :thumbsdown:

had a quick look around and found this thing was leaking water (with the hoses on)

dscf0941re.jpg

dscf0938m.jpg

so there goes my plan to drive it this weekend.... anyway does anyone know where i can get one from? are they quite common/Universal? or am i going to have to get a second hand one of someone?

Nathan

Thanks to one of the NZ Datsun boys I got the part I needed, finished it at 8.30pm took her for a test drive everything seems to be fine! bit of tuning and getting timing right and she should finally be back to how it was before ....

Picture less update as I wasn't in to much of a hurry to stop and take them ha

Went and Picked up a Dizzy on sunday from Aaron, turned out to be electonic so was rather stoked.

After recovering from the night before I wired it up in the afternoon, still couldn't get it to go even though i followed the circuit diagram for it and the spark plugs where sparking

Had a wee play on the net trying to find info but all said the same as the the diagram i already had.

Finally realised the dizzy's had different mount plates on the bottom so dizzy wasnt spun around enough to spark at right time.

chucked the plate of my old dizzy on and she fired up straight away with the dizzy in the new position.!

Purrs now no rough idle or spluttering at low RPM

also came across this while i was looking for diagrams

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/dist ... index.html

anybody done this or anything similar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yea there is fuck all damage really

Centre grill = fine just little bit of metal twisted

dscf1001zqe.jpg

Light shrouds are fine one has a little crack in it nothing major

dscf1002i.jpg

Radiators a no go (sorry Chris)

dscf0999q.jpg

First priority is to get a radiator so i can get it up and running again

Chris (the legend) knows where a parts 260c is that i should be able to get the majority of the parts for its just the guy who has it is the guy who he got the Gloria off in the first place and it could take some time.

so if any one has a radiator out of a 260c or similar that would fit (Mounting holes are roughly 650mm apart horizontal and 250mm vertical) hit me up as I would like to get it on the road as soon as possible.

Cheers

Nathan

So had a very productive weekend in regards to parts

Got a radiator sorted (thanks to Brock)

Bumper from Hayden (Kartboy of NZdatsun)

New vs Old

dscf1006x.jpg

This should come up quite good with a polish

and i got a bonnet from Aaron

dscf1007k.jpg

Old one could potentially be fixed thought it was more bent than it actually was when i put the to next to each other, so thats good news

So started off highly motivated to get it running and driving today, Started putting every thing back together today got radiator in all plumping back on and started it........god damn head gaskets gone again :thumbsdown: (got hot after it dumped all the water at the crash) i thought that the new headgasket would have been able to handle it

So pretty much that just put me in a down buzz and called it an afternoon

Considering chucking it in dry storage at my old ladys for a couple of months and get my Wolseley 16/60 on the road.

but will see how i feel in next couple of days...motivation to pull the head of replace head gasket again might come back...

Nathan

bossed out head gasket after work, just need to bolt the inlet manifold back on but got too dark. I did however realise im missing this part so if anyone has one they want to sell hit me up. its just the middle bracket that the centre grill is attached to

dscf1009tj.jpg

Cheers

Nathan

update on the car.

I got head gasket sorted Saturday torqued down and every thing back on. got excited and tried starting it and nothing. It just keeps turning over and over not even sounding like its going to kick into life

As far as i can tell everything that i pulled off has been put back on, and I've exhausted my knowledge on trying to fix it as i know little about these motors.

any ideas what it could be??

Possibly time for a engine conversion as i have a feeling these L-Series don't like me.

Cheers

Nathan

• 1 month later...

Been a long time thought i better make an update.

basically what you have all missed out on is a lot of frustration at trying to get the L20 to fire lots of different people looked at it and couldn't figure it out. pretty much ended with bad timing and a piston hitting a valve! and a lot of cursing from me.

So me and the L20 weren't getting along so I brought a Carbed L26 (off mutiny/Brock old one ) that I'm going to tidy up/replace bits/polish etc,.

I like the idea of running a carb, so much less to go wrong which is exactly what I'm looking for . . . i just want to be able to get in and drive her :burnout: :bounce:

I planning on cleaning the Engine bay out and re-spraying while the engines out, will also remove anything that's not needed and talking up room

I'm rather looking forward to making some progress on it in the coming weeks :)

will keep you updated.

Nathan

P.s Engine Block colour ideas??

So had a reasonably productive weekend

got the majority of the engine pieces unbolted, all that's left is a heater hose and the gearbox mounts. (going to pull it all out as one unit)

so here's how it its as of now.

dscf6572v.jpg

dscf6573q.jpg

Just waiting on an engine crane should hopefully have one to use this weekend.

Just cause .....here's a picture of what the "new" engine and what it looks like before i tidy it up

dscf6577h.jpg

so that it for now, pay day this week so the L6 will be getting a make over.

i keep dreaming of these, will defiantly be a future mod :D

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... enlargeimg

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick little update

Gave the engine a tidy up

Seems to be allgood, will switch over some other new parts i brought for the l20 (water pump etc)

Carb needs rebuilding as its pretty had it, so if anyone has a spare similar jetted carb that will fit let me know, just need something while i save for these webers.

so here some before and after photos

dscf6584u.jpg

dscf6585.jpg

dscf6589.jpg

dscf6587.jpg

dscf6590l.jpg

Also did a mish this weekend and picked up this for the Mrs thought id share

57867410151982397050587.jpg

60342110151982396875587.jpg

54023310151975863140587.jpg

60009210151982487895587.jpg

Nathan

• 5 months later...

Well after a fuckload of talking about working on it finally

Progress!!!!

dscf6686a.jpg

I Know its not much, but it is something!

Pulled the old L20 out, will be replaced with the L26 i got of Mutiny quite some time ago

Clutch was pretty stuffed, so i ordered one in should be here tomorrow! will bolt everything up to the 26 and slip it back into its new home!

Plan is to just get it back up and running on a stock carb i have sitting there, this will be replace by some triple 40 DCOE weber sidedraughts!

• Like 1