Mazda in Ford clothing: '85 Laser TX3, 4WD turbo glass gearbox wonder

0R10N

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost finished doing a bunch of run-in kms (mechanic recommended 500km or so). Keen to drop the oil this week and refill with some fresh goodness.

A re-tune will have to wait until after I get back from the States and I'll also have to change the exhaust prior to this happening. 2.5" seems to be the best option, although 3" is what Paul recommends for best overhead. The challenge will be keeping it relatively quiet and not too droney at open road speeds (yeah, I'm a grumpy gills old man).

make sure you're still getting up it when you run it, don't wanna have pooze nana run in spec blowby

As an interesting aside, the Speedsource tune (which is what I've had to use for run-in) didn't actually account for setting the base timing at all - so the engine had been seeing up to 45 degrees "real" advance at the crank. I wonder if this sped up its eventual demise? AFRs and timing seem to be all over the show so I've been reluctant to push the car too far.

• Like 1