How To Paint a Rocker Cover

Taistorm

Ok, I'm sure someone's posted up something similar before but here is the method I used to paint the rocker cover on the swift.

First of all you will need..

-A can of paint (Enamel is all you need, I picked VHT Enamel Wrinkle paint because I like the texture).

-A can of degreaser or brake cleaner (kerosene will also do the trick).

-Paint stripper.

-A paint brush that you won't want to use again.

-Sand paper (I used a sheet of 240grit and 400grit.

-A ratchet & socket set or some spanners.

-Pliers.

-Rags.

20110728141816.jpg

20110728142253.jpg

Step one: Remove Rocker cover.

OK remove all the h/t leads and oil cap then using the pliers, remove the hoses and clips attached to the rocker cover.

20110728141939.jpg

20110728142131.jpg

After this is done remove all the bolts/nuts attaching the rocker cover to the head and remove the rocker cover. Keep everything you've removed somewhere safe so you don't loose em as of course they will be needed for re-assembly.

Note: Make sure you cover the exposed head as you don't want shit getting into the engine. Glad wrap works a treat.

20110728142828.jpg

Step two: Preparation.

Using the degreaser and a rag, clean the shit out of the rocker cover. Once its mint give the cover a scuff down with some sand paper (I used the 240grit) then using the paint stripper, smother the cover completely and wait 5-10mins for the paint to blister.

20110728145628.jpg

20110728145642.jpg

Once the paint begins to blister, run it under the tap/hose at a high pressure to remove the paint (a waterblaster works a treat). Repeat the process until almost all the paint is removed. I had to do this 3 times then it ended up like this..

20110728151756.jpg

Now using the 240grit paper I sanded out what was left of the paint, then using the 400grit I sanded thoroughly over the whole Rocker cover. Afterwards using a clean rag and degreaser clean the surface until all the dirt/grease has been removed to ensure a better painting surface. Everyone knows that prep is everything.

Step three: Painting.

Once satisfied with the cleanliness of the rocker cover begin painting (make sure you mask up anything that you don't want to be painted over). Keeping about 30cm distance away from the cover, spray your paint on in smooth strokes over the cover, making sure you get all the tight corners. Because I used the wrinkle paint I could smother the shit on thick because it dries up thickly giving off the wrinkle effect. Do about 3-5 coats waiting 10minutes or so between. After 3 thick coats this is how mine turned out..

20110728172944.jpg

20110728172952.jpg

Afterwards leave it to dry for 24-48 hours or cure in the oven following the directions on the can.

Step four: Reassembly.

Once the paint has cured over make sure you clean out the underside of the rocker cover thoroughly with degreaser and a clean rag to ensure nothing gets into the engine when reassembling. Once its ready follow step one in reverse. If your rocker cover gasket/seal is shanked it will pay to replace it with a new one so oil doesn't piss out the side.

Hopefully you will end up with a choice as rocker cover looking like this!

20110729113027.jpg

Chur!

Tai.

Cheers bro, attempted to dab white paint over the lettering but the paint would just run off into the gaps. Was thinking about sanding back the lettering>polishing it up and clear coating it but i really can't be arsed. Looks alright and i'm happy with it! haha

Edit: Also if you're slack and can't be bothered waiting out the 1-2days for the paint to cure, throw it on gently and fire up the engine. Leave it running for 20mins or so or take it for a good drive and it should bake on well.

When striping the cover, chuck on gloves and use steel wool (the stuff woman's use in the kitchen sink to clean our burn pots)

Works a treat. Should only have to use paint stripper once if you do it this way.