Mikey's '57 NSU Prima D

mikey

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 29/06/2012 at 05:40, mikey said:

The seam sealer failed at sealing the tank. But JB weld worked a treat. Yay.

On to the next leaky thing! I replaced the Bing carb with a Dellorto PHBG. Which is frrcken sweet compared to the leaky old one.

IMG_20120623_133846.jpg?t=1340854151

Made up some new cables for the choke/throttle. Did a skid!!! Nah! Not really, this thing is the opposite of skids.

But words can't describe how good it feels to have a scooter that doesn't leak two-stroke everywhere I park it! Ha ha.

This is the dynamo controller/regulator I hooked up

IMG_20120623_133829.jpg?t=1340854086

Also has new coil (thanks 10speed) and new battery.

Next things on the list is new tire and fashion some hold down springs for the front brakes. It's a gamble every time I use the front brakes at the moment; one in five times the shoes wont be parallel with the drum and the front wheel locks up, and front springs bottom-out and go BANG!!. It's a terrifyingly exciting senario...

This is the other thing I'm working on. Digital ignition with programmable advance. I'm using a BIP373 ignition driver, PIC16F628 micro and hall-effect sensor. I've _almost_ got it working! I've been battling to fire the coil without destroying transistors/micros. This is about the 4th revision of the ignition circuit. Anyhoo, shouldn't be too far off I reckon!

4752d1340847900-igbt-ignition-coil-driver-schematic_v4.png

IMAG0125.jpg

Main motivation for this is because points for this thing are impossible to get these days and my current ones are super fucked. It's rideable (I rode it to work today) but you can tell the timing is all over the show!

Hallo, can you help me please, 

how to turn on lambretta nsu prima dynamo
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Mikey, Did the DVR2 work and hold out? I have a Prima D 150 that I'm rebuilding (starting with the Dynastart and ignition)

any help would be appreciated. How did your Ignition hold out or could I just buy something to wire in place.

Cheers Reid. 

Hey @Reid I've had two DVR2s, the first one I cooked somehow. It was my fault but can't exactly remember what I did, some sort of short. The second one has been mint, no problems and so much better that the OEM setup.

The Dynastart itself has been a bit of a pain, i've pulled it apart and replaced bushes a few times. Main issue is getting any oil in there will quickly screw it up. 

I'd love to have found an electronic ignition for it but never worked out what I could use there as they all seem to be CDI style, rather than run off the battery. So I'm just running points, which seem fine. 

The biggest problem with the bike is it's so gutless it struggles up some hills, would be interested to see if yours runs better.

16 minutes ago, GregT said:

Pertronix points replacement setup is a dead simple arrangement. I've used them on a wide variety of bike engines.

Oh thanks @GregT they seem super simple. I'll definitely follow that up, some of the poor performance is down to the timing variations. Just need to work out which model will work best. 

I usually buy kits for BMC 4 cylinder. There are two sizes of pickup and this kit has the smaller. No difference electrically afaik. The plastic rotor can be eased apart to remove excess magnets. You'll only need one - but mark it's location on the outer to aid timing. Easy enough to remove the pickup from the kit backplate and screw it to the NSU one. Gap should be around .020in.

First pic is a crank triggered setup but I've used them on half speed ones like Triumphs and BSA. Second pic is off the end of a balance shaft - so crank speed again.

starmaker ignition.JPG

p1220001.jpg

• Like 2