mitsubishi trans problem

magno

greetings all, a few months back i picked up a mitsubishi galant/eterna (1990 e35a) for a couple boxes of beer, tow away - engine no go, just needed a battery & some gas and off i went, while driving it feels like it only has drive and reverse gears, no 1st 2nd or O/D, it selects reverse pretty quick no clunks or noises, select 1/2/D all feels like taking off in 3rd and there is no O/D although the dash light still turns on & off, trans fluid is clean & at level, google searches i've come across suggest selectors/cables, trans ecu, sensors/solenoids, trans buggered, is anyone familiar with these cars/problems? cheers.

Dont know shit about mitsubishis, but on Subarus - the trans will behave exactly the same way if the TCU isnt getting power. The default mode for the subaru electronic control autos is to stick in 3rd when no control signals are sent.

Id start by checking power at the TCU then making sure the loom plugs going down to the trans are nice and snug.

yep sounds like the TCU is faulty. I had an E35A Eterna Sava which would not select reverse gear or it would engage the torque converter lock up clutch immediately when you put it into drive therefore stalling the engine. It turned out the TCU had leaking capacitors causing the faults so in the meantime while repairing it/tracking down a replacement I just unplugged the TCU which makes the transmission work fully mechanically, ie stays in top gear with no O/D or lock up, and is very quick to change into reverse gear from park or neutral.

The TCU is located under the center console behind the stereo, it's best accessed by removing the kick panels on either side of the 'tunnel', and it is secured to the firewall by 2 12mm bolts and to the floor by a 12mm nut on a long stud, so wise to use a ratcheting spanner to remove that. Once you know the MDxxxxxx number you can go ringing around the wreckers/looking on trademe for a replacement. Heck even if you give me your full chassis number (ie E35A-0038592) I can find out what TCU yours has before you even pull it out.

maaate, spot on, pretty in-depth reply cheers heeaps i've googled for weeks & come across all sorts of weird & wonderful answers,the car is parked up in mums yard so i'll get over there tomorrow. my grandad told me once "the silly man is the man who asks no questions". oldschool rocks.

Sounds like it's gone into failsafe if it feels like taking off in 3rd gear. Being in failsafe its probably an electrical problem. If you know someone with a scan tool they could check for fault codes. May be solenoids.

yep sounds like the TCU is faulty. I had an E35A Eterna Sava which would not select reverse gear or it would engage the torque converter lock up clutch immediately when you put it into drive therefore stalling the engine. It turned out the TCU had leaking capacitors causing the faults so in the meantime while repairing it/tracking down a replacement I just unplugged the TCU which makes the transmission work fully mechanically, ie stays in top gear with no O/D or lock up, and is very quick to change into reverse gear from park or neutral.

The TCU is located under the center console behind the stereo, it's best accessed by removing the kick panels on either side of the 'tunnel', and it is secured to the firewall by 2 12mm bolts and to the floor by a 12mm nut on a long stud, so wise to use a ratcheting spanner to remove that. Once you know the MDxxxxxx number you can go ringing around the wreckers/looking on trademe for a replacement. Heck even if you give me your full chassis number (ie E35A-0038592) I can find out what TCU yours has before you even pull it out.

fuel life.. win :D