what to do??

karlb

Well my carb in my 1600 ex lancer needs rebuilding. its going to cost $350 to rebuild it :? now im in two minds weather to go that way or weather to get hold of a set of webbers or something.

what could you awsome guys think i should do

$350 to rebuild an Aisan (not to be confused with Asian) carb? I would just do it yourself, it's not hard to do - you just need a clean workspace, time and some patience. AN124NZ is probably the carb kit you will require which should have the gaskets, needle valve and seat, accelerator pump plunger and boot, and an assortment of o-rings and washers. Last time I bought the kit it was less than $40.

You'll need a can or two of carb cleaner (the CRC clean-a-card stuff works great and is cheap) and something like an ice cream container to dip bits into. An air compressor with an air blower would be handy too.

This is assuming your carb is indeed an Aisan one rather than a Mikuni Solex, but I'm pretty sure at that age Mitsi NZ had switched to Aisan by then.

$350 to rebuild an Aisan (not to be confused with Asian) carb? I would just do it yourself, it's not hard to do - you just need a clean workspace, time and some patience. AN124NZ is probably the carb kit you will require which should have the gaskets, needle valve and seat, accelerator pump plunger and boot, and an assortment of o-rings and washers. Last time I bought the kit it was less than $40.

You'll need a can or two of carb cleaner (the CRC clean-a-card stuff works great and is cheap) and something like an ice cream container to dip bits into. An air compressor with an air blower would be handy too.

This is assuming your carb is indeed an Aisan one rather than a Mikuni Solex, but I'm pretty sure at that age Mitsi NZ had switched to Aisan by then.

Is most likely Aisan as my 1980 model EX has an Aisan carb :)

Yea easy to do yourself, but you find on 90% of old stuff the throttle shaft 'bush' and seal is fucked which is abit more work to fix that just chucking a kit at it. Usually involves drilling out the housing and installing a brass bush to lush things up. Allot of the time it causes a pretty bad vacuum leak, but disassemble and find out

well iv been tossing up about weather to use a solex or get it rebuild, i rang repco for the carb kit and it was $115 plus id need the shaft bush and seal which i cant find anywhere.

Ill try get hold of a guy i sorta know at repco on sunday and see what price he can do the kit for, and then give it to all fuel systems and get him to rebuild it. which will include acid dip and zinc plate all the steel parts and put the kit in and shaft etc. will be done over night so at least its not off the road to long.

now the other thing is i wana get rid of that ugly standard air cleaner. Iv heard ramflos are shit. what have you guys done to yours?