engine rebuilds

shizzl

What RUNAMUCK said is bang on.... however I bet many guys here started by just giving it a go, I did because I was a student and had no money so it was DIY or walk.

It's a shame you aren't using a cheap common engine as once I knew enough to be dangerous I started with the forced induction and EFI with the pintos. I'd buy one in good or good enough nick for $50-100 then use it for R&D until I broke it.

Perhaps what separates your dirty old chrysler hemi from a motor like say an A12, or a 3K is the physical size of the parts. And perhaps the age too. I've been party to reassembling engines without double checking everything. (On account of cost) But a motor like a hemi is more inclined to fail if it's tolerances aren't right. they bang out way more torque, and the moving internal parts are much heavier. they are a Fucking bainging engine that can take a fuckload of punishment, but For my money I could never afford to spend coin on a fix that "might" work.

If you want to learn the best way is to learn from someone who actually knows.

I am sure someone could help with pointers.

Even a cheapo rebuild is a waste of time if the bottom end is not in good order...

Think of this before you skip anything...

@ 3000rpm equals:

50 crankshaft revolutions per second

25 valve openings per second

25 pushrod up/downs per second

25 camshaft revolutions per second

The tolerances are very important and the longer the stroke the and the bigger the cube then yada yada yada.

The minute you add rings you add more stress as the compression just increased. Yes it may run good for a while but for how long.