New School Family wagon alert...

isnowi

Well, the missus needed a new car as the old e36 was getting a bit tired.

p1010213.jpg

After much humming and haahing we settled on a MK4 golf wagon. I had wanted one of these a few years back but was always put off by the pus filled 2.0 motor that was so underpowered that it was simply not funny, anyway we managed to find a 1.8t engined one, and the rest is history.

p1010214dk.jpg

I've got a few plans for it, first of all is taking care of the deferred maintenance and sorting out the cambelt, water pump and tensioners. Then i think it could be time for some better breathing and a reflash.

I would love to get it a little closer to terra firma, and slam some decent multi piece reyums on it, but it scrapes on my drive as it is, until i can sort that out it will stay at 4x4 ride height.

Pic for future inspiration.

IMG_0194-7.jpg

mean.

shoulda got a sweet diesel, bud.

I really wanted a diseasel but only saw one in 3 years of looking, it was a 5 speed, nz new, 200km, rough as 40 grit sandpaper, and the dude wanted 17k for it :shock: i passed..

Looks good man.

How about you slam it and park it on the road like you did the E36? :D

Seriously pondering a slow air setup.... just a 2 paddle job with 3 heights, standard, low and really low. Trouble with mk4 golfs is that the sump sits very low from the factory, and is prone to collecting catseyes if you're too low...

Trying to find a nice set of 17's for it, preferrably multi piece OZ's, or MOMO's, or BBS's or anything else similar with a nice bit of stagger and some dish, the rear guards of these things will swallow an 11" rim without modification... :twisted:

haha yeah those sumps are silly low and are alloy - a friend of mine with a standard height 2.8 VR6 all motion mk4 cracked his sump pulling into my old works carpark which had a slight pot hole, if that. Some guys fit the steel mk3 sump to avoid it happening again.

haha yeah those sumps are silly low and are alloy - a friend of mine with a standard height 2.8 VR6 all motion mk4 cracked his sump pulling into my old works carpark which had a slight pot hole, if that. Some guys fit the steel mk3 sump to avoid it happening again.

Only works for the 2.0 an vr6 motors, 1.8t was first used in mk4... There are aftermarket ones available however. $$$

• 4 months later...
Those wheels really suit it. Heaps of meat on those studs too, could fit some massively illegal spacers on there nicely. Or some legit bolt ons if you are so inclined.

I would never dream of it :wink:

Probably 25mm rear and 15mm front.

Will cert it for spacers when it gets low, possible via air.

get an ecu reflash

just had my old ladys one done (she doesnt know yet) gained 48hp fuuuu it flys now

its a 2.0t but same principal

It's all on the list my good man, should net about the same on the 1.8t, i'm going to get a new downpipe first, then a new Diverter valve to hold the extra boost, thes bits with the reflash should net just over 200hp, which will be plenty with the tiptronic trans.

Somewhere in there i will get spaced and low as well..

sly 2l conversion? currently at 252hp can skimp to 270 but risk killing the fuel pump

with a fuel pump and dump pipe it can be re-flashed to 300

ps, bags are for fags permalow or gtfo

pps, watch that gay alloy sump

I'm not sure i've ever seen a mk 4 with a mk5 conversion? It's an interesting idea.

Personally i think that the 1.8t is a better motor than the 2.0, but this is possible got a lot to do with the fact it's been around a while and people know a lot about them. Audi produced a factory variant (in '93) that put out 290 odd, 400 is possible without opening them up, much more and the rods begin to stretch. Plenty of them running close to 4 digit power with much the same work (if not less) than the average built jap 4 cylinder. My A4 had a dump pipe, decent intake, higher pressure FPR, and reflash and was alleged to be around 230ish still on the tiny stock turbo too, the same mods on the golf will produce a little less as the a4 had the AEB motor which has larger ports and a few other differences.

ps, can't go permalow, or else it'd have to live on the street . :cry: