Car Wireing:Starion into EX

Southerner

I started getting frustrated with the struts not going my way so thought id start the next big thing in my project, the wireing :? . I got the complete loom out of the starion, unplugged it all, didnt cut a thing, just incase i need it.

This is what it all looks like outside of a starion and all laid out in roughly the same layout on a board

p1010773r.jpg

This looks slightly more frustrating than the struts though, as its more electrical and not simple nuts and bolts as such.

Now only being 17 and having no proper auto electritian skills(ive got a cousin who knows quite abit about this stuff though, and my dad knows abit about motors and carbed cars as he used to race competively, both of which who are willing to help me :D ) ive got a few questions to ask.

Hopefully if i keep it simple enough so that i can follow it, it will help people in the future who are doing the same conversion.

Now if i am using the motor and gbox in my lancer with the standard loom do i just cut out and de-wire the parts that i dont need in my car, eg the head lights,stereo etc. Then i will be left with only a engine only ecu? That runs the engine, sensors,afm, cat?

There are 3 main boxes that are part of the loom

1.This is next to the coil

2.In the passengers foot well inside the car

3.On the firewall, it has a pipe coming out of it and has Turbo written on the back(i think its been replaced)

Do i need all these?

Does anyone have a wireing diagram for these cars that could be of some help?The car is a 1983.

Sorry if these are dumb questions

if i recall;

1. is the ignitor box

2. is the ecu itself

3. is the sensor which feeds the boost gauge. this is the only one you can get away without having

i'll have a look for a wiring diagram, you might be able to download one via torrent maybe

I think i have starion loom diagram, a GSR one and a sigma one all together in a file for comparison.I was going to do this YEARS ago but never did.A good site is this:http://www.projectzerog.com/wiring-how_to.shtml

zIts mainly for going from SOHC to DOHC but should still give you some info.

Ill try find these files also.

Good luck bro.

If i go dohc i have to do rwd water set up, exhaust and intake. I might look into putting a dohc head with 16valve pistons on the starion block later on, but at the moment i think it will simpler and cheaper to get the car moving with the 8valve spi motor. It is still a 2litre turboed motor so for the extra money and hassle would it be that much more quicker to go dohc over sohc?

i just bought an aftermarket exhaust manifold, cut and re-welded the flange. use an inlet manifold from an evo 4+, it bolts on and faces the right way, just got to mod the fuel rail a little bit. havent done the water pipe yet but its just a flange off the back of the head with a tightish angle pipe off it, running to a remote thermostat. im running factory evo ecu, loom and sensors so should be pretty much plug and go

to be honest, its probably not really worth it going dohc, i just started doing it because i got bored and noticed all the evo stuff was getting cheap. by the time youve modified the dohc head to a point where the sohc couldn't compete, youd probably start blowing gearboxes and diffs. i think the dohc probably provides smoother power though. lag loses its appeal after a while

yea i would do it but i am 17 and going to polytec next year so i want to get this thing up and driving round. im only wanting this car to scare a few boyracers, not to drag race competively. Maybe in a few years when ive got a bit more cash i will do a full rebuild of the car and get a bigger diff etc, but for the moment i hope i will be happy with SOHC.