Hydraulic brakes for underwater use

Unclejake

Oh lol, I read this soooooo wrong.

You are only using the master to hydraulicly activate a brake you already have. That should be sweet remove top cap off master cyl. and replace with a custom non vented one and try and assemble with no air at all in the system, testing is essential hah. Make it and dive down to 50 odd feet and use the system and then check for water. Fucking around with lever lengths will get throw/effort right. Roll some sweet seals on the actuator end and you shouldnt get water inside. bleeding all the air out will be a bit of a cunt, but once youve done that it should be sweet.

Fuck yes! Awesome. I will just assemble the entire thing in a bucket of fluid.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

FYI this sled will be tested in salt water (just because there is heaps outside my house) but will mainly be used in freshwater. Lake Taupo is very deep and has little current but it is as dark as hell down there and bloody cold (8 degrees down at -90 meters evidently)

We need to get the freediver down to -120 meters as fast as he can equalise. He has to swim back up though. Bugger that.

Anyone want to come and have a go?

No, I am not certain yet.

The main issue with cable operation of the brake is the risk of getting snagged on it.

Commercially available rope brakes or descenders offer too much drag or are hard to modify to be remotely operated

also, how much throw are you after on the brake. You may struggle to get enough length into the actuator without it being too much force to pratically use. remember a motorbike brake has about 20-30 degree's lever throw for about 2mm movement at the caliper

I think I am going to need 4-6mm of cam movement. How much throw that requires on the actuator depends on gearing but we do not want the diver to have to make much physical effort

I did also think about using a throttle twist grip......

I need to draw this thing on a computer but don't know how :(

old man etc....

Tis closer to vegetable oil

Wouldn’t say it acts like veggie oil? Brake fluid is going to be made of silicon or of a glycol-ether based, I wouldn’t be putting these in my salad. So is easier to explain it in laymen’s terms that it acts like water with an anti corrosive additive. It defiantly isn’t made from taking H20 water and dropping some additive in it as it would just boil in a true breaking environment. However for these types of tests and environment it would have relatively similar environmental properties.

I’m sorry as my first statement didn’t express this very well as a likeness and instead could have been misleading.

Vege oil would Hydrogenate in a breaking system from the extreme heat and make a real mess of your system, so I would highly recommend no one uses it or water as it would evaporate for that matter.