sand blasters

WildPlumDx

It depends what sort of compressor you have and what the application is.

With a gravity fed / hopper type gun you need far less air flow. A medium sized direct drive compressor will deal with one of these.

The suction type ones need a lot more air to get the sand all the way up the tube... It has to be a free air delivery of at least 7cfm to have enough oomph to do a good job.

I did run the suction type sand blaster off my little 2hp direct drive compressor, but it was basically having to run continuously and wasnt able to do any great deal of work for a period of time.

Even my new compressor which is 3hp/50l tank with a solid 12cfm works hard to run it, though I was able to blast continuously for a long time.

My old man bought a syphon type one, and we made up a bucket/hopper to feed it. Uses insane amounts of air. Plus you wind up with sand coming out of your eyes, ears, nose, and hair for days afterwards. It's such a cunt of a job, I haven't bothered to use it for years.