electrical help - indicators

Beaver

hey all

got a few issues with the indicators in my cortina. if i indicate right, they work fine (flash rate seems to be a touch irradic however) but if i indicate left, the light on the dash flickers rapidly, the flasher unit ticks rapidly, and only the front indicator lights up (but very dim, and flashes rapdily obviusly), the flasher unit alsio gets very hot when indicateing left. i tried a different flasher unit, again work fine on right, but when left, the unit smokes...whilst ticking rapidly.

can anyone recomend a place to start looking? i swapped out the bulbs for working ones but this didnt fix anything. i also tried a different indicator stalk/assembly and got the same results.

cheers

Sounds to me like blown/incorrect bulbs or bad earths so one of the bulbs isn't working. When you say they flash fast, are all appropriate lamps flashing? one might be a different voltage or wattage from the others and thus causing issues.

all indicators were working properly, until i pulled the indicator stalk assembly apart to try fix the headlights (long story....). after reassembly they started playing up as desribed, so i tried a different stalk/assembly, but with the same results (which leads me to think its not the indicator assembly, but further along in the wiring). also im 99.9% sure its not the bulbs, due to them working and me no changing them since.

i changed the left back bulb (which doesnt flash at all) to a bulb i nkow works (was from the right side) but it still didnt flash