ignition staying on?

rwd_mayhem

In my 626 with standard engine, it's staying on when the key isn't in it causing the electric fuel pump and ignition system to keep going (the only way to turn the engine off is by blocking off air to the carb as it still runs with batt disconnected)

I took off the barrel and just used the switch without key to see if it was getting jammed or something but that didn't help at all.

It didn't use to do this and I don't think I touched anything to cause it.

Anyone got some ideas on the problem?

checked alternator?

You may want to learn something about cars before posting.. :doubt:

Dunno what your electric system is, but an ignition relay may be sticking on which would prevent the car shutting off.

Disconnecting the battery won't stop it as the alternator will still provide the power.

Otherwise ignition switch could be dodgey, there could be a short somewhere within the ignition wiring.

There's a lot of places to look really, might just have to check through process of elimination.

If it was my car i would be getting all amongst the ignition connections, there should be a plug under the steering column or near by to probe into.

Should be able to work out which wires are acc/on/start using the meter with everything plugged in.

Once you have done that i would unplug the loom and see if there is still continuity through the ON circuit of the ignition.

Also check to see if there is any voltage backfeeding from something in the loom that shouldn't be, i had a job today where a switchboard loom was rubbing its stz on something and lighting up all sorts of weird crap.