Ok to grind back brake caliper? NEW PICs inside. Advise Pls

oldrx

What size are the rims? Are cast iron calipers any thinner usually? I just swapped my Camira calipers for some cast iron Calibra calipers. They're bigger diameter but don't know how they compare in the direction you want to gain clearance. If I'd seen this earlier I would've been able to check, but I binned the old calipers today.

They are 13in x narrow. Oh the timing! Heartbreak, could have scored them off you for spares maybe.

They are actually Cast Ally, not iron as i originally thought. Only the pad retainer flippy over bit is iron.

Are Calibra heaps better? Can use same bracket that holds caliper?

Yeah, I was trying to say maybe Camira alloy ones are fatter than Calibra cast iron ones because alloy's not as strong.

Dunno if Calibra are heaps better, but I needed new pads and rotors and they were $11 each at Pickapart for the calipers so thought, 'Why not?'. They have the same hole centres as Camira where they bolt to the strut but only just clear 14s so probably won't fit under your rims anyway.

Yeah, I was trying to say maybe Camira alloy ones are fatter than Calibra cast iron ones because alloy's not as strong.

Dunno if Calibra are heaps better, but I needed new pads and rotors and they were $11 each at Pickapart for the calipers so thought, 'Why not?'. They have the same hole centres as Camira where they bolt to the strut but only just clear 14s so probably won't fit under your rims anyway.

Oh i get it.

What car are you using them on?

are you paying to get the widening done? if so why not just get new wheels off trademe?

Yep paying, dont think they acccept sexual favours anymore (political correctness gone mad i tells ya).

Yeah could use hotwires or something, just figured widening would be heaps cheaper and a bit different. And 4x110 mazda pattern dont come up that much and the rotary scene is full of homos who think anything mazda is instantly worth moon beams.

that whole deal with sexual favours as way of barter is shit these days...

i wouldve had a mansion by now :x

hotwires will work out cheaper than widening bro...

and i agree about the rotor homos......thats why i got off rotahavik years ago and got rid of my rotas..

this site doesnt have anywhere near half the amount of homos on it....just wierdos... :mrgreen:

True, i thought widening was pretty cheap.

Just bought a pair of 13x6 4x110 hotwires for $50, might be ok for the front, then just need another pair for the back - could even redrill axle and use 4x114 if some come up with a good dish.

These should clear i would think but if not i think i will grind a little bit off.

Thanks for all replies.