making supa wide rimz frm set of 4

crusty_rusty

so i scored up a set of 4 14x6.5 3 piece rimz iv taken them apart and my plan is to make 2 14x9s using the 4 inner lips of the wheels as has been done many times before. ive dummied one of them up and it all goes together fine will try geta pic up now. just a few things im wondering...

1) where shuld i drill the hole to put the new air valve in (im thinking on the one small step in the dish but does it need to be anywhere specific?)

2) it had a silicon type sealent on the inside of the 2 lips. can i just do the same using normal clear silicon gel? lol

3) im thinkin 185 60 14 for tyres but what u rekon/ possible?.. remembering tyre places can be a bunch of pussies wen it comes to stretch sumtimes haha

4) is ther anything ive forgoten or is it this simple?

185/60/14 is easy. I have 185/55/14 on 9.5" rims.

Don't worry about the silicon. You will want to run inner tubes.

Therefor the hole will need to be drilled as close to the center of the rim as possible.

Because your wheels are 3 piece and you will be running tubes you don't need a tyre shop to do them (A tyre shop will tell you it cant be done anyway).

Just bolt the wheel up round the tyre then pump it up.

Use baby talc powder in the tyre to let the tube expand properly.

Its either that or some sort of silicon but I didn't like that idea.

We used talc powder in MX bikes and it was fine.

You got to remember the inner tubes are round.

A 14x9 with a tyre on is obviously not round so the tube has to expand right out to the sides. If it is not slippery enough it grips the tyre and stretches the edges until they burst. If they don't burst on pump up they will later because the sides are under increased stress so all it takes is a little pinch and its all over.

I went through a few tubes and also rolled on tyre off the rim.

Also, good luck making it look right on the car. You won't be able to find any skinnier 3 piece 14's to make a narrower set for the front.

Rims in 14" at like 8" wide and 0 offset = $$$.

What are they going on?

fukin legend cheers bro bolting rim together around tyre fukin meen idea! :idea::idea: that sounds like the way to go!. yea ive got another pair of 14x7s which are the same brand (bridgestone potenza stage) that will fit the 2 left over centers that ive got from the bak ones so thats sweet! rims are goin on an ex lancer which im gona make up sum fibre glass flares/widebody for the bak. thread is viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14381&hilit=rustys+82

whats the go with getting tubes? just from any tyre place i geuss? anything in particular i need to get?

cheers a million!

fukin legend cheers bro bolting rim together around tyre fukin meen idea! :idea::idea: that sounds like the way to go!. yea ive got another pair of 14x7s which are the same brand (bridgestone potenza stage) that will fit the 2 left over centers that ive got from the bak ones so thats sweet! rims are goin on an ex lancer which im gona make up sum fibre glass flares/widebody for the bak. thread is viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14381&hilit=rustys+82

whats the go with getting tubes? just from any tyre place i geuss? anything in particular i need to get?

cheers a million!

Yeah brew just roll into the tyre shop. Think they are about $10 each or something.

There are two types in 14". A wide one for wide wheels and a skinny one. Obviously get the wide one.

Post a pic of the wheels man! They are not the ones in your project thread are they?

Apparently my wheels are "Bridgeston Potenza Stage 1" And I have never seen another set.

Like this?

1042178.jpg

You are going to need some serious modifying to get those on an EX.

Iv taken it pretty serious to get them on my corona and that has huge guards factory anyway.

[

Apparently my wheels are "Bridgeston Potenza Stage 1" And I have never seen another set.

Heh mean, always thought yours were Hayashi Command's.

Yeah,

These = Hayashi Command (Thanks Chris Cain for picture)

14x9hayashi%20command.jpg

A bit different.

I thought the person who told me may have just been reading off the tyre because the tyres are bridgestone potenza's lol.

Google brings up nothing so that's why Im keen to see pictures to see if they are the same.

Don't worry about the silicon. You will want to run inner tubes.

Therefor the hole will need to be drilled as close to the center of the rim as possible.

Tube 'fail' imo

Im going to be running 225 50 15's on my 15 x 12's, where are you located? Most mag and turbo shops can stretch fit almost anything.

ok haha after abit of wire brushing i found on the inside of the center (of the gold coulord rim in my thread) said potenza tr-1 st-4

so bridgstone potenza stage 4s i guess they are. gotah love rim os rim identification ay! yea will definatly be fun geting them to fit nice but im sure my fibre glass surfbord repair skills will kum in handy :rolleyes::rolleyes: haha will def post more piks wen i get bak from new years trip. i thnk the tube idea sounds good but trial and error it will be lol