• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK so modgies were never going to cut it

picked up some enkei rims today

14x6 +10 offset

looking a bit sorry when i picked them up

img0320y.jpg

gave it a once over with a wire brush (ok wire wheel in the drill to save time)

img0321r.jpg

quick sand then polish and they come up looking alright.

img0322pr.jpg

plan it to paint the centers gun metal gray and get some tires in the new year.

• 2 months later...

been working far too much lately, but finally got around to polishing and painting the rest of the rims

img0408q.jpg

img0406w.jpg

img0410wx.jpg

didn't expect them to come up this well when i first got them

hoping to have them on the datsun by the end of next week

also thinking about getting some bullet centre caps for them

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'v had this a couple months mainly just done things to help with reliability. As i just drove it from Rotorua to Chch and it went well although carb blocked up a little bit halfway between kaikoura and chch. 

List of things of done so far.

New fluids for everything

New filters

New alternator fitted (100amp unit from a terrano perfect fit)

New plugs 

Brakes balanced

Central and remote locking installed

New points and condenser

Towbar fitted

So today i went about Solving the height of the front... sky high stance

IMAG0016_zps20d87329.jpg

Not alot of space at the hall to do much work. Although the did end up having a grinder and cutting discs to use. I brought a pair of standard front springs from a 330 of brocky and loped off 2 coils only to find it wasn't quite my cup of tea. So the coils went back to the shed to lop off one more.  I ended up swapping the springs in a big empty car park got a couple looks but now where to do it at the hall...

IMAG0018_zps47de7e52.jpg

Springs all in looking pretty good maybe the rear needs a little more low but im really happy.

IMAG0020_zps5be38ea2.jpg

Springs are just captiveprobably could lop of another half coil and still be captive so im happy with the height now.

IMAG0021_zps2b33713f.jpg

Big thanks to felix your stuff you lent me was much appreciated couldn't have done it without it. Cheers

9c918cc1-037a-4ec9-87a7-d4cd19261f46_zps

So thats how she sits now. Iv just ordered a multispark setup from the us so that'l be next probably.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So awhile ago now when needing to remove wheels for first time one lock nut was being a frigging pain othing worked heating tapping with hammer, huge powerbar all due to the key just being too soft. 

Eventually it came to this... Damn forgot classic finger pic...

IMAG00281_zpsb58a959e.jpg

Which led to the nuts not being done up tight and me losing 2 of the remaining lock nuts so i decided to buy these

IMAG00261_zps9c634818.jpg

So she has some nice new laces.. I know I know the wheels need a clean but they get dirty so fast is this weather.

So shes been burning oil. around a third of a litre every 500miles. but just smokes a bit on cold startup then goes away within a minute. Which leads me to believe that its the valve seals or guides. So i went today to burrow h4nds compression tester. I did a quick indicator while the engine was warm. where i removed all spark plug leadsremoved one plug screwed in tester turned engine over 5 cracks about 5 seconds and recorded compression i didnt have away of getting oil into cylinder so only did a dry test. These were my results:

Cylinder   Test 1 Test 2

1               150      140

2               160      150

3               130      120

4               120      120

5               160      150

6               140      140

And these were the plugs

IMAG00341_zpsd592b253.jpg

IMAG00361_zpsed7474d4.jpg

IMAG00371_zps0d912628.jpg

IMAG00381_zpsd710c44d.jpg

IMAG00391_zpsa9021e61.jpg

IMAG00401_zps5cc82966.jpg

So what i see is its running a little rich but msd cdi should help that a tad so will fix after that and that 3 and 4 seem th be the main culprits for leaking oil. I tried the trick we did on our old lux of running with the oil cap of to see if the pulses of air where even and no pulses so that didn't help. Any one have opinions on what the oil burning is coming from? what you think i should do? Any advice etc.

I'm already thinking of removing the head at some point and replacing valve seals and guides/valves if need be and if it hasn't been done getting hardened valve seats if they didnt have them? Any other jobs people think i should do while going in there to do this stuff? If the seats aren't that important im keen to lap them myself using valve grinding compound and a electric drill. Minimal cost is a huge bonus being at uni.

Cheers any help/ideas/criticism wanted.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so have decided to save some money and deal with oil usage and eventually ie Xmas holidays do an engine swap I'm thinking ld28 and eventually turbo. But time will tell. Any ideas on any rear dumps around at a decent price would be mint as iv found a front sump for a fair deal and thatl be the go if I can't find a rear sump or preferably just the rear sump and oil pick up.

I wired up an msd multispark box the other day and it's made the car start so much faster and on my second trip to omaru used about 1/4 half a tank less so pretty stocked. I need to wire up a lot nicer however that can wait til after exams this week.

For engine swap I think I'm end up removing all the wiring except the lights and starter motor and possibly relocate battery just for clean look. Then paint the bay black deciding whether to spray with a less textured Berliner for durability and I'm probably paint the engine and most components black for a really plain look. I know it's pretty contrevesial but I don't mind and if I do ever repaint this I think I'm do lots of body work and paint it black and pick up all the associated trim from the flashier models of Yahoo.

• 3 weeks later...

So rechecked the spark plugs after adding the msd AND they all came out good. Also brought a compression tester myself and redid the test to get consistent 150 except 3 was 160 so very happy . Also smokes stopped completely and starts mint. Plane was cancelled so missed Hamner which sucked. Car is also up for sale now. Check for sale thread if your interested.

• 2 weeks later...

So the car might sell this afternoon iv been just doing little tidy up things to it and just gave it a full service. I decided to give it a spirited drive up the ports hills up summit road and it was beatiful drove perfectly and was a real joy of a drive highly recommend the road. Decided to take a couple photos up the top where i stopped and spotted a couple of the elusive port hills deer feeding below. The road edge of a walking track.

IMAG0105_zpscd4feb69.jpg

IMAG0104_zpsc8ca3f14.jpg

IMAG0103_zpsd19374b5.jpg

IMAG0096_zps097d43f4.jpg

ps sorry about the phone photos hadn't really planned for it but couldn't miss the opportunity 

• Like 3