Fuel pumps and regulators

ThePog

So I have been having fuel issues with my X1/9 in that it runs out of fuel at about 7000 revs and cuts out, when in fact it should happily go up to 8k...It is currently running a facet solenoid type pump which is internally regulated to 3psi as far as I know, and this is feeding two 40mm webers.

I have just bought a low pressure regulator and gauge off trademe for nix;

111168982_full.jpg

And I have a bosch fuel pump which according to my research puts out 40 psi.....

So the question is; can I run the 40psi pump through the regulator and not blow the diaphragm to bits?

If your bosch pump is an EFI pump, then it will put out whatever pressure your (EFI)reg is set to.

There's 2 types of regulator, the bypass reg as used in EFI and what I think is called a dead head or something which is a full flow reg used on carbys. An EFI pump needs flow to drop the pressure, a carby type fuel pump (reg) will only flow if the pressure drops below the set pressure.....if that makes sense.

If you want to use an EFI pump on a carby you might need to fit an EFI reg and return line to stabilise the pump pressure at 40 or so PSI then tee into the return line to feed your carby via a carby type reg, there should hopefully be enough restriction in the return line to give you the 5 PSI or so needed.

Alternatively you could just let the EFI pump free run, it would supply heaps too much fuel but using a series resistor will slow it down. then feed it to a low pressure reg. There's lots of ways, just needs experimentation.

On the other hand if your existing pump can't supply enough fuel and cuts out, it will be detonating severely just before it cuts out, it can only do that so many times before the motor is junk. Been there done that too.

Steve

It needs 3.5 psi or thereabouts. Someone suggested running the efi pump into a swirl pot and running the facet from that so it doesn't have to work so hard.....but there is sod all room available for that sort of carry on.

Where can I get one of the holley pumps from?

Edit: three hundred and something dollars off TM...... hmmm, swirl pot is looking pretty good.