Diff head angle

My name is Russell

Tomorrow night im going to weld the hilux diff onto its seats so need to get it centered, running parallel and the diff head at the correct angle.

Does the flange on the diff head just need to run straight for the back of the gearbox yoke or should they be at a parallel angle?

What sort of tolerance do i have to play with? / how accurate do i need to be?

Could always make some wedge shaped blocks if i fuck it up but would prefer to avoid this. :mrgreen:

Can then get on with making my new 'special' tramp bar design and pan hard rod. yays.

parallel but offset to eachother, so the shaft is at an angle. with no angle the crosses will wear out by point loading the rollers rather than them rolling inside the cups.

you have quite a bit of tolerence, also if you are after more traction you could look into pointing the pinion flange down a little

uj's are NOT designed to work at no angle and will NOT last like this, show me one factory setup that has no angle and I will buy you a box of beer.

from what manufactures say they will last the longest at anywhere from 3-5 degrees.

my starlet shaft was between 15-20 degrees ( we had to clearance the yokes to not bind ) not ideal at all and wouldnt be the go on a road car but it did not wear out crosses and did not fail even getting spun to 10500rpm

parallel but offset is the ticket, so both crosses are at the same but opposite angle to cancel out the change in speed they go through on every rotation

uj's are NOT designed to work at no angle and will NOT last like this, show me one factory setup that has no angle and I will buy you a box of beer.

do you just mean automotive? :P

cause i can show you some ag stuff that works on some wicked angles that are running gearbox's and some transmissons :P

but there are ways around things like these

comes down to uj size and yoke/fork size

You misunderstood my words.

When you put the power on, everything moves unless it's IRS with a fixed diff head (even that moves a bit). At full power you want it as straight as possible, when the power is off there'll be an angle.

Excessive angles bugger up your UJs as in the case of my car when the rear engine mount split and sagged, transfer case dropped and the front UJ by the transfer case overheated and started squeaking.

If you've got a 4WD Mitsi it's the broken engine mount at the back that breaks transfer cases when you launch it....why?

Steve

simple rules...

never straighter than 1.5deg.

diff head to average the same angle as the engine is.

done

^ this^

At full power you want it as straight as possible

yea close to straight but not straight, as eke_zetec_RWD said maybe no less than 1.5deg, just so that the rollers are rolling as they are designed to do.

when the rollers dont roll a couple of them take all the load, disform and then you have play and a disaster is not far away