another 1jz issue

FLAWLES

hello

not oldschool i know but i hope pple here can lend a helping hand/high 5

changed all 6 plugs in the vvt-i 1jzgte beast today, which was all good and fine intill i drove home, while driving i planted my right foot to see if all was running correctly

i noticed that my boost controller read 13psi ( which is what we set it at ) and has the revs climbed above 5k-rpm and beyond it felt hessitent, then it felt like it missed a few times, kinda clared it self then done it again

now the wonderful vvt-i 1jz's have the three coil pack set up with three leads and have a issue with dropping a coil everynow and again, weather or not this is only under load i dont know, i also have the three other leads ordered ex japan ( two weeks away )

now to add to this i havent set the plug gap on the plugs,

would this be the cause of the issue? would the boost pressure be blowing out the spark at high rpm?

and if so what is the correct plug gap?

many many thnks

+1 for check gap, since thats what you've changed. can gap down to .6mm without any issues. wont need to go that far. if at all with 13psi. but try .8 if you're going to gap them down. stock is probably 1.1mm or something around there.

edit: yeh you've gone colder, higher number is colder in ngk range.. check gaps against old plugs

nar, unless plug is too cold they will foul up, when just cruising about. shouldn't have any issues with 7's. if plugs are too hot can cause detonation or pre ignition, so when running more boost using a colder plug is good idea

+1 for too big a gap. Mitsis are chronic for blowing out the spark if anything over 0.8mm. Always check spark plugs before you put them in regardless if they are pre-gapped or not - you never know if someone's dropped the box on the electrode end thus closing up the gap too much etc.

cheers for the info

checked plugs and yip all set at 0.8mm

steve the trouble isnt at low load, its at high load or up higher in the rev range

took it for a spin down on one of the targa stages lol and noticed that the boost controler was beeping at me which means it was coming close to the boost warning level which i set at 14.5 psi ( feul cut i think is at 15psi on toyotas???? ) and then settled on 13.5psi ( the setting that it runs on )

now

it done this issue that i have been having once..............then clared it self and ran mint,none of the plugs are fouled which makes me think it could be the leads or coils breaking down

cheers for the info

checked plugs and yip all set at 0.8mm

steve the trouble isnt at low load, its at high load or up higher in the rev range

took it for a spin down on one of the targa stages lol and noticed that the boost controler was beeping at me which means it was coming close to the boost warning level which i set at 14.5 psi ( feul cut i think is at 15psi on toyotas???? ) and then settled on 13.5psi ( the setting that it runs on )

now

it done this issue that i have been having once..............then clared it self and ran mint,none of the plugs are fouled which makes me think it could be the leads or coils breaking down

are they coild on plug ?? if so i had problems a while back with mine the rubber boot deteriote and leak the spark ..(thanks richie for the info btw) , running some threeebond around the boots stopped it or get new boots

yea cly 2/4/6 have coil packs and 1/3/5 have leads

i think it is a coil/lead issue

when i pulled the coil packs off, the boots were faded,didnt seam to have pin holes or cracks but were a off colour ( a light bluey green to the factory dark blue )

will swap coil packs over tomorrow and see if that fix's the issue, leads wont be here for another week and a half ( fingers crossed that they arrive before my track day )