Friendlyfire's Chevette HS

Gaz, he got two VN boxes with his XE's!

Flywheel changed some time in 1993, so if you ask for a clutch kit from a car 89-93 (or thereabouts) you should be right. Then you just need to sort out the release bearing issue I mentioned earlier.

On that, here's an example of what I was talking about. Shown below are Nissan release bearings, I'm not sure what exact model will suit still, but you should be able to find it if you take yours into a clutch place and measure ID etc.

carrier.jpg

Obviously the extended one of the left will push out further than the one on the right, which won't even come into contact with the pressure plate.

You can see Nissan guys can get it wrong if they buy the wrong clutch kit also.

good.jpg

Oh what a score, so got two full engines!

Release bearing I went nuts at wreaker for a few hours and an old Bedford one is perfect if you wanted to go that way.

Saying that I havnt run min yet.

Gaz

yup two commie boxes =) going to strip both, inspect and make the best from the two if theyre a bit worn, also going hydraulic clutch with a bit of pissing around haha, awesome thank mikuni,also what do you think of this list of parts to use for clutch setup reccomendend to me on gm-t

manta 1.8 spigot bearing

calibra turbo clutch plate for flat type flywheel

calibra 16v cover plate for flat type flywheel

opel manta 1.8 clutch bearing

also going hydraulic clutch with a bit of pissing around haha
If you're going to hydraulic clutch can you just get something like this?

thumb.jpg

clutch_release_bearing_hydraulic_5679332.jpg

I can't comment on the Manta release bearing, but worth looking into, as if you can get things off the shelf that are made to work then everything will be much easier. Cobbling it together and figuring it out as you go like I did isn't the easiest way of doing things.

Hydraulic clutch opens up a whole can of worms or another dimension.

Hydraulic clutch leads to possible brake bias pedal box, leads to possible rear drum to disc conversion leads to hydraulic hand brake set up

All nice to have but the question is - How deep are your pockets?

what rear axle is in the Chevette? maybe time to start thinking about that, because the originals are not the strongest diff's on the planet.

reading the earlier posts there was mention of a viva 1,8 diff? again they are not that flash either

you have a project posted of your chevette gaz?

bias pedal box is already in the making, rear diff is going to be my only weak point, leaving it all as it for now which is a gemini diff, slightly bigger and stronger than chevette, untill i can do it all together(hilux diff, disc brakes, 4link, upright shocks, ect) sometime in the future haha, depends how long gemini diff lasts..

depends how long gemini diff lasts..
I can't comment on the Gemini diff, because I know people break them for time to time, but the Chevette diff behind the X20XEV making ~100kw at the wheels is still going strong 5 years later. It didn't get abused too badly, but did see some track time and now a skid or 2, so if you go easy-ish it will be fine.

Weighed my flat flywheel tonight and it seemed to be less than 7kg. Pretty inaccurate scale though, so will weigh it again when I get a new battery in the digital one.

you have a project posted of your chevette gaz?

Ummmm, dont think I do on here, there is one floating around in the back pages at GM-T tho (http://nzgem.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... 451&page=1)

Just started working on it again last week as house is pushed on alot. Tuesdays are garage night now haha.

One of them pages has the Gemini next to the Chevetee diff for comparison from before I swapped them over.

Gaz

depends how long gemini diff lasts..
I can't comment on the Gemini diff, because I know people break them for time to time, but the Chevette diff behind the X20XEV making ~100kw at the wheels is still going strong 5 years later. It didn't get abused too badly, but did see some track time and now a skid or 2, so if you go easy-ish it will be fine.

Weighed my flat flywheel tonight and it seemed to be less than 7kg. Pretty inaccurate scale though, so will weigh it again when I get a new battery in the digital one.

haha yeah i just put mine on my old bathroom scales, it was roughly 7kg could be 6.5-7.5 haha, was your diff just standard open wheel mikuni?

ahh nice photo on the diffs, really shows the differences

found more rust tonight.. between double skins in boot, and thin area along g-box tunnel, no use trying to forget its there so more patching to do..

• 1 month later...

Viva Magnum axle will handle 200bhp- possibly more if you don't dump the clutch etc. Usually cheap to buy as well. But possibly a bit too wide?? Plus all the mounting points would have to be moved.

Piazza axle, non turbo torque tube type, I have used in the past is 50mm wider than a Chevette one but now hard to find eh? As mikuni says you could just run the standard one until it breaks- you might have it last ages.

Those ^ light surrounds are getting harder to find now as well. Grab them. Recessed lights are the best if only just so you can perch a cup of tea in them or tools while you work on car :-)

• 7 months later...