Common high km 4g63 problems?

Brock-Lee

Hey guys not oldschool related but there seems to be a wealth of mitsi knowledge here(we all know who im lookin at :lol: )

Mate just bought/swapped for an evo 1. is running evo 3 engine and has done 200+ kms. Its boost spiking, running rich, high idling after normal driving and just generally running shit. Any known problems that these things have? Ive been all over the engine and replaced missing boost/vacuum lines and thrown a new set of plugs in it, and it has helped immensly. Any other hints be heaps appreciated and shit.

Missing hoses will probably mean the boost controller got taken out. So it's probably been thrashed as all turbo cars are.

How did the old plugs look? oil on the threads?

Overboost will cause detonation which in turn will make it run over rich. Chances are the oxy sensor will be faulty as well also making it run over rich. Plugs should last nearly for ever so long as the motor is good. If the plugs actually NEED changing , it will be because the motor is sick.

Steve

Just to be a contrary cunt I'm going to disagree with forced.

Spark plugs do have a working life. Once it's over, they gottta be replaced. It happens. PLus if it was been screwed, (it's an EVO, of course it's been screwed) any detonation may have fucked the plugs.

sounds like my pulsar when i got it :lol:

you will probably find that all the sensors are fucked and will need new ones or recalibrating

and that somewhere along the lines some cunt will have cut wires to the ecu 'cuz da inturnet sed it makez mor boowst!'

the cam timing will be out

sensors still wont read even after replacing and rewiring and you need a new ecu

your wast gate and actuator will be fucked from having 96.4psi blown through it

and you will be finding pipes missing or plumbed in wrong for 6 months!

oh and have fun

high kms 4G63s seem to suffer from oil burning and noisey hydraulic lifters but really that's about it. If it's been thrashed then you can expect other things to go wrong such as perhaps broken rings or ringlands on the pistons etc.

High idle could be a worn idle adjuster grub screw, my VR-4 idles high too and the adjustment is maxxed out.

Boost spiking would be lousy wastegate control, there is a factory boost controller solenoid perhaps they bypassed that.

First things first I would do a compression test on it and see how healthy the motor is to begin with - it should have approx 160psi even across all cylinders.

another good indication of how fisted the motor is, would be to see how much blowby is getting into the crankcase. If it has lot you can be sure it's had the arse screwed off it. And may even have a dickey piston/ringland etc. in which case you either need a new engine, or if he's poor/tight like me get a used piston or two and give it a low buck birthday.