Auto gauge speedometer signal?

Bulldog

Hey all, i've bought an electric autogauge speedometer which is designed to run straight from your ecu and I dont have an ECU and was wondering how I could get this going using conventional methods. I'm not sure what signal comes from these ecus either? is it 50khz?

I don't really want to take it back and if I could buy a sender to work with it I would be wrapped but...if it doesn't work then it doesnt work.

I have an electric autometer speedo, had it running on the old carb motor. Had a magical sender box from gearbox I believe. Had it made up, can't even remember where. Pointless post almost but it can be done.

i see some one on trade me sells something similiar for $680 :shock: cant be that hard to make, mite look into it :?

Yea all you need to do is search the net with the model number/ specs for your gauge and then someone should be able to point you in the right direction. There's a bunch of different types of senders used to measure rotational speed all producing different waveforms find out what your gauge needs it will be simple to set up

Im going to use the smiths electronic speedo.

I first got a speed sensor from the smiths rep in Auckland

Part number EMP34-1Kit which is made by the same people as the smiths gauges

was $126+gst a year ago

This sensor uses magnets which is stuck to drive shaftand the sensor picks up the magnets passing it

after alot of time thinking how i could mount this i decided to use this

https://www.burtonpower.com/product_main.aspx?prodLanding.aspx?CCode=PC700

part number REVFSS

which will just plug into a ford gearbox.

hope this helps

There's plenty of "stock" jap cars that use electronic speedos, just get a sensor from pick a part,. The sensor just screws into the drive gear in the same place that the cable would go to.

No electronic speedo runs off the ECU, the pulses go INTO the ECU for the speed limiter, from the gearbox.

If you've got an old pommy car (imperial) then the thread will be wrong but could be made to fit.

Magnets on the driveshaft...... that went out about 30 years ago along with the first ever car computer that measured fuel useage, time, speed etc. I think reliability might be a bit of an issue , at least compared with a proper sender.

Anyway, 78 shoveit, they might have been metric?

Steve