MINI OWNERS

mish

Nice!!! Just a couple of things - Are you doing anything with the drop gears? What sort of diff are you running (ratio and is it a cross pin)? My mini was at a similar tune but running a 1 3/4 SU and getting 79 horses at the wheels. Its in bits at the moment - I am going to try and get 100 hp out of it.

is your mini an A+ engine.

becuase my gears are factory a+ drop gears and diff, how ever i have found that alot of parts in the A+ gearbox are diffrent (more larger / stronger) this includes diffrent crown wheel and pinion and also the diffrental has some diffrent parts that make it much stronger than the standard a series

Yeah, I started with a A+ MG Metro block and head and mated it to a late 1275 GT G/box. I broke the shaft on the intermediate drop gear a couple of years ago - I think it only had 60 hp at the wheels but I was giving it a hard time at taupo. Lol we had to tow it with a rope all the way back to Auckland. I can also recomend getting a cross pin diff because if you are spinning the wheels the spider gear shafts wear through there hardening and turn down pretty fast. I have tried making up bronze bushes - but they just got destroyed. I am on my 3rd one but I do a few motokhanas and trackwork. It is one of the bits I am swapping out at the moment with my latest rebuild.c-ajj3385.jpg

Yeah, I started with a A+ MG Metro block and head and mated it to a late 1275 GT G/box. I broke the shaft on the intermediate drop gear a couple of years ago - I think it only had 60 hp at the wheels but I was giving it a hard time at taupo. Lol we had to tow it with a rope all the way back to Auckland. I can also recomend getting a cross pin diff because if you are spinning the wheels the spider gear shafts wear through there hardening and turn down pretty fast. I have tried making up bronze bushes - but they just got destroyed. I am on my 3rd one but I do a few motokhanas and trackwork. It is one of the bits I am swapping out at the moment with my latest rebuild.c-ajj3385.jpg

yea i would like a cross pin diff, just a matter of funds if you know what i mean ;) there not cheap

• 4 weeks later...

so you convinced me i ended up getting the minisport crosspin diff, fitted it up today gearbox is pretty much assembled now so just need to fit up the block etc and wait till i get the car back from the painters and it will be complete!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks! , i would hope within a month defanantly within two! the last parts i have to order is the new clutch system (verto hydraulic) hoping to have the car painted and back to me within two weeks

so will be a matter of getting those parts fitting my new engine and brakes and then refitting all the shit i taken off :)

• 6 months later...

Are you in the Canty Mini Club? I'm trying to find contacts there to help me. I am the South Island contact for the internet magazine love:mini. Haven't got our first issue out yet but we will always need cars and things to be contributed to it