Differences between S4 and S5 rx7 gearboxes

plasticdash

Would anyone know the differences between rx7 S4 and S5 gearboxes? (and if the turbo/non turbo ones are different) , so far the info i have found is that the S5 gearbox has more strengthening ribbing?

I have a bellhousing to fit one of the above into the starion, and am looking at purchasing a box, would like to get the strongest one possible.

there both much of a muchness in terms of strength there strong as but are all old as fuck now

non turbo ones are rubbish

s5 have the mounts on an angle i.e \___/ with the holes to mount the box on the / bits

s4 mounts are flat on the bottom.

seeing you have a bellhousing, you can also use s6 onwards (the input shaft length is 10mm diffirent from memory, i cant remeber which way) but youl have to devise some funny way to mount it or weld something to the rear housing. i think you can also use the early rear housing and get the remote gearshift that you can move to suit your gearstick hole, where as s6+ the shifter position is fixed. (but the deisgn of it is shitload better in everyway, i.e youd want to keep it)

cause you can get s6+ boxes for the same price as s4/5 ($500~) but there a shitload newer, in less of a need for a rebuild, and noone bothers with them for early stuff. inside their pretty much idnencle / much the same shit again/ not worth mentioning.

• 2 weeks later...