4age hesitating/stuttering??

nothingsfree

Ok having some kinda problem with the 4age in my Se.

Its hesitating/stuttering when I am cruising along. When I get on the gas it accelerates fine, and when you take you foot off, it decelerates fine as well, its only when cruising along keeping the gas fairly constant that its doing it.

Its a standard bigport 4age, with standard computer, has had the TVIS removed tho :doubt:

I wondered if it might be the coil, so replaced with an almost new bosch one, but obviously that hasnt fixed it. The other thing is, it doesnt do it all the time, and its only done it really badly a few times. The times its done it really badly and consistently has generally been after driving for a while.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, as its fucking me off, and I need to sort it before heading away for new years...

its like you're either ON THROTTLE or OFF THROTTLE, no happy medium?

fuxd TPS, or its not set correctly.

the other stuttering common on 4ages is only when under full throttle, when the coil gets damp. clears up once the coil is dry again. generally happens after driving for a while in heavy rain or something, depending on where your coil is mounted.

its like you're either ON THROTTLE or OFF THROTTLE, no happy medium?

fuxd TPS, or its not set correctly.

the other stuttering common on 4ages is only when under full throttle, when the coil gets damp. clears up once the coil is dry again. generally happens after driving for a while in heavy rain or something, depending on where your coil is mounted.

Ok the TPS was next on my list of culprits. How do you set it/find out if its not working?

specs + howto here: http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=29042

you just undo the two screws on the side and you can twist it back and forth, and check with your multimeter until you get the correct resistances etc. but it may be stuffed altogether so if you can't get it right, or the resistances are already correct it'd be worth trying another one.

its weird that it is only happening when warm though...

check your spark plugs, i once had a crack in the side of mine (the white part of it) and it wasn't firing properly, would miss and stutter until 4500rpm then run perfectly...

look at leads too perhaps.

having similar stz with my crown atm and i put it down to leads

Looks like this man might be right.

Mate came over last night and checked a few things, and the leads are fucked. So ordered some new leads and plugs, should arrive tomorrow, so will drop them in and go for a thrash. Hopefully thats the problem solved...

Well chucked in the new leads and plugs, and whadya know, its still doing it!

Fuck.

So went back to my first thought bout the TPS and found a wire broken in the back of the plug.

Fixed it and went for a drive, and it wasnt doing it. So whether its actually fixed it, or just just messin with me I dunno, but fingers crossed. Also found out my alternator is on the way out, so if anyone has a spare one they want to sell,let me know??