Sexyminors 1982 Hiace

EURON8

Productive day.

Meet with cletus/clint today.

Looks like ill be running ITBs straight outta the box unless some one wants to build be a custom plenum that clears my engine bay covers as he recommended not notching them for clearance.

Everything else is fine and on track. Bit of a relief.

Just need a few more welds on the gearbox crossmember and thatll be done and ready to drill out engine mount holes.

budget = blown well and truely.

Time to put everything that isnt van related on trademe :cry:

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i've been terrible unproductive,

Hassles of living on other side of auckland to where your project is stored and having workshop where welders/tools are even further away!

Things i have acheived.

Motor is sitting in with box bolted up.

gearbox crossmember is done, just need to bolt it in

then, drill some holes for motor. might space it up a little.

May or may not chuck 18r back in for summer as im sick of not having it running

Problems, have 2 poked 18r's id need to combine to hopefully make one good one and get a few parts i dont have anymore

Or make mild steel plenum for 1G for the mean time to run factory computer as itbs will blow budget.

1G means cert though.

Pics of new wheels:

PA190425.jpg

Shameless plug for shitty degreaser

PA190426.jpg

Got given this, will see how it looks :wink:

PA190428.jpg

Also, whats the thing next to TB with 2 yellowish plugs off it

PA190427.jpg

Well, what ya think,

i dont think it really works, towbar (which isnt being removed) and spare tyre are in the way and its a tad thin to sit where i want it too. Will have a play another day and see if i can fit it.

PA230428.jpg

PA230429.jpg

In other news, engine dramas should be sussed now, so bring on summer hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...

HAd a crack at tig welding at tec today.

MAnaged to get the first part all patched and bits welded into there new position.

Will post pics when i actually finished it.

Got rot808 to braze a cutdown brass fitting onto my copper water lines so i can put my temp sensor there as it was in the way before.

Will polish up pipe work before final installation. Should look sweet.

PB180452.jpg

so..

was lying about under the van trying to sort out my fuel system/ lay down on concrete, got comfy and just ay there staring at shit as ya do,

Found this.

back yard fuel economy

is on the return line. (carby motor had feed and return from factory)

PB230465.jpg

In other news. got holley red off rot808. will check part number when i feel lke it tomorrow to make sure its all good for efi. Might be a carby one. Came with reg.

Found mounting spot for surge tank which ill mount up but only wire in if i come across a lift pump and have surge issues.

Will get clips and run line in the coming days,

Reakon itll matter if i have the lift pump up front by motor where i will have efi pump and surge tank?

or run initial efi pump only setup about 3m forward of tank?

close is best?

• 3 weeks later...

So made some progress,

Holley red will be lift pump, will find cheap Vl pump or similiar,

Gonna run the feed from tank out the drain hole as it sits at the back and in a small dip of the tank

block off factory feed and use other as return.

Had quick fiddle with heavy walled bends i got and went and ordered 4 U bends and some straight thin walled stz.

To scared to start cutting just yet.

Still waiting to setup tig, might clear shed and take van to workshop where all the tools are/supposed to be.

Summer is closing in and still lots i want to do but will get her running and back on the road then work on wheels and suspension

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterdays effort.

First runner is a bit longer than the other three but i might swap where the first and second go into the collector and try shorten it a tad, otherwise im not that fussed.

Taped for now, wil tack it up soon and test fit.

Making the jig made it so easy. Couple of simple measurements and cut wood to suit.

P1090075.jpg

So picked up a few things at Kumeu swapmeet.

Vl fuel pump and stuff for $20

P1160077.jpg

Peep mirrors for $10 - gonna machine down some re-bar to thread ends for bars. Might use roundbar for slightly neater look. not sure yet.

P1160078.jpg

P1160079.jpg

Got three of the runners tacked up, got sidetracked welding up cracks in mates door in his mini.

• 1 month later...

So just picked up a box of gear from level7.

Spare set of front springs (Front lowering can commence once exhaust is done and rear reset leaves in oh and maybe WOF first)

Full disc brake setup off same era hilux, All new bits to rebuild, parts have been painted already also.

water pump which should fit hopefully

Tailight lenses to replace my smashed ones

DSC03259.jpg

Massive thanks to Aaron for all this!

Set myself up a little better in the garage at home too, so i now have somewhere to work at home when im not over with the van. Yes still sorting out boxes of crap so its a mess haha.

DSC03260.jpg

• 1 month later...

So,

Slacker(cam) came over and helped/did the wiring. we pulled the loom and set about figuring out what shit did and where the loose wires went. He has since nutted it all out and will hopefully be round tomorrow to extend things, rewire things and put it back in.

Intake manifold all chopped and tig'd back together. last problem i thought i might have is nolonger as im just not going to run the water heating hose shit to throttle body. just gotta find where it comes from on motor and block it off.

Fuel lines all run, just need rot808s benders and cutters for some of the tighter bends at the end.

Will get some gasket paper in the morning and do that too.

Hopefully be able to get it to almost started stage tomorro.

Flywheel thats been sitting outside, de-rust face with sandpaper? im a student so no expensive suggestions please :mrgreen:

picture less threads are gay, like thread less pictures.

random but hey, they pretty,

189920_10150120152593358_575548357_6543653_1319005_n.jpg

n574171266_322378_6590.jpg

n574171266_322373_3467.jpg

Ok, last pre-nats project update.

and no pics, as camera cable has gone walkabout.

Motor and box came out today.

chassis notched -(Although a little far back, but the die grinder will sort that)

clutch installed

spigot bearing rusted itself onto input shaft during mockup install. bit of bashing and steel bar and g-clamp and she came off.

Went to pitstop to see about exhaust system flanges, left with scrap flange that will suit and new gasket all for free. GC.

Gonna make my gasket for intake tonight

Then hopefully final re-assembly tomorrow and startup.

Then see how friendly my local WOF guy wants to be.

Oh, and big thanks to 1vaknd for answering my call for a extra pair of hands today!! then he ran off to help drfitmaz :D

See you all at NATS ... maybe ... youll just have to wait and see on friday i guess :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Righto,

mega update/pic dump

motor : 18R GEU

DSC03282.jpg

Modified intake

DSC03285.jpg

Sneaky coil mount

DSC03287.jpg

16" thermo fan thanks to clint. Quite large, but it fits prefectly inside the factory shroud so win!

DSC03280.jpg

Chassis notched for dizzy clearance, can also see massive hole for throttle body clearance

DSC03276.jpg

ECU mounted on copper bar inside old airbox compartment

DSC03277.jpg

New clutch

DSC03275.jpg

Free flange and gasket from pitstop

DSC03273.jpg

Full, hardly used ford taurus exhaust to hack up and build sidepipe

DSC03274.jpg

Clutch fork, Retaining spring and release bearing spring were broken so fixed/made my own

DSC03283.jpg

Ready for first start

DSC03347.jpg

Turns out i had fuel system plumbing backwards. fuel pump was trying to pump in the return line of fuel rail. swapped that shit round. was giant pain with intake on.

Small video of the van

• 2 weeks later...

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

So stephen tara and I took her for a burn roound the block.

Rowdy as shit with no exhaust or engine bay covers.

Did a small skid

Got a bit of a miss and some vac lines i need to figure out what they do.

Couple water leaks to look into, better hose clamps should sort it

Some odd pics of shit ive done.

Little bracket to alter angle of plug leads. as you can see in pic they used to fly straight into where ive got the thermo switch

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

Angle iron on back of old 18rc accel lever thingy so it slots over lip on chassis rail and then is bolted at the bottom.

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

My brackets to kick the bottom of radiator out a little to get clearance for the fan as it hit on crank pulley in factory location.

IMG_2750.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Has been started and driven numerous times.

Made up quick side pipe using shitty muffler. Still to loud (for the low profile i want to keep till its all certed). Bigger muff time.

Coil was doin sweet arcing thing. Found massive crack on the post. New coil is in. Went for a drive. Horrid miss. Dizzy lead had come off. Radiator needs to come out to get to it. :x Looking into CAS now haha. Radiator had to come out anyway to swap fans over.

Think my chassis notch might need to be bigger. Really dont want to have to pull out the motor again!

Stupid van and being such a tight fit. Carbs can GTFO though, gonna make this EFI work!

Teathing problem after teathing problem really kills motivation but im still going.

Will see what the weekend brings.

• 2 months later...