First off: Disscussion Thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16578

ok ok ok

1982 hiace

18R power house,

Plans:

fix panel work / rust and repaint in white

lowering and wheels

sounds and a couple of other electronic goodies for rofls

Typed out an epic details run down but OS froze when loading and i cant be bothered typing it all again haha.

will update as i go.

Anyways pics:

pa130111pn5.jpg

w980.png

pa130118do7.jpg

w980.png

pa130114is5.jpg

w980.png

Basic concept (WARNING: contains rushed photoshop skills :mrgreen: )

quickconceptli9.jpg

w800.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update time:

Went for a legitimate warrent yesterday!!!!!!!!!

And it failed.

But only for:

3 Tyres Will borrow rot808s wheels for wof

front brake lines new brake lines purchased and will be fitted this weekend

Left wing mirror smashed. ONe of those if its on there it cant be broken laws, :rolleyes: solution: take it off for WOF

Passed the warrent!

Sprayed the wheels and hubcaps mattyB

The GFs collegue owns a signwriting company so the windows are getting tinted professionally for free, just gotta buy the rolls of tint and a new vinyl for rear window is getting made and applied.

Brought seats for the back that fold down which need to be bolted down in the next few days

So she should be all sweet for new years

pics to come

• 2 weeks later...

Pics time.

New Brake Lines

PC200236.jpg

PC200234.jpg

Removed middle seat and put in a tray for phone ipod etc. Oh and some "Work better than look" cup holders.

Oh and some sweet Initial D seat cover cause the vinyl seats get abit sticky in the middle of the day :D The sheep skin on is for the mrs, she found it and likes it better :rolleyes: go figure :mrgreen:

P1050242.jpg

Got a seat bolted in as couch wasnt gonna work as a bed

P1050240.jpg

Seat folded flat with wood platform at the back. Gives flat surface for the mattres and some storage underneither

P1050245.jpg

Made some straps that clip to the roof to hold my surfboard up out of the way

P1050243.jpg

Strung up some curtains. Rivnuts are my new best friend. :mrgreen:

P1050246-1.jpg

Bed all ready to go

PC300239.jpg

Windows all tinted in 5% and new decal, All free thanks to Mrs' work mate.

P1050244.jpg

More pics later about our New years issues with a timing chain :evil:

So it was Decmber 30th late afternoon, we were heading down the southern motorway towards the mount when the engine died, so i coasted to the side and proceeded to try restart. Found a few broken things but nothing that woulda caused it to die and not restart. Suspected timing chain. So after an hour or so the AA guy showed up and confrimed my timing chain issues. So another hour or so the Tow Truck showed up and then the slow crawl for bottom of auckland to the top of it (another hour or so ). Got old man to pick us up from workshop and run us home where we piled everything into the mrs' car and headed down. Got to the mount (via hams to get a tent) at 12:30 and we first left the shore at 5ish in the van. :mrgreen:

So went up to the workshop yesterday.

Found all these panels covering the engine that bolt on so once removed made it so much easier to work on the engine

P1060247.jpg

P1060248.jpg

Took the rocker cover off, the top chain was still nice and tight. hmm, noticed some loose metal pieces down amongst them, so pulled them out, The smaller piece was one i broke off the cover where i found a big crack. see below pics.

P1060249.jpg

White piece on left of cover is the crack

P1060252.jpg

P1060251.jpg

So, after all this , decided to just pull out the engine. tonights job.

This thing will most likely fall in to the empty spot

P1060255.jpg

P1060256.jpg

Had the day off today.

Had such a sucessful day.

Cleaned my room and did some washing. ( Will make a chur as wife one day i know!)

Went to work shop

Cleaned up and created extra space to work

Shifted a car to get the v8 and engine crane out.

Managed to get the 18r out missus the gearbox. Only just had clearance to get engine crane and engine out through sliding door.

Needed crane to go a little higher but it hit on the door. Managed to tighten up the strap and get just enough clearance

P1090261.jpg

Needed a block and tackle to drag the engine crane out from van cause its hard enough to push the crane itself on the gravel :mrgreen:

P1090260.jpg

All gone

P1090264.jpg

P1090267.jpg

Sneaking closer :wink:

P1090262.jpg

Another shot of the damage

P1090265.jpg

Away for the weekend so have to wait till monday night to get the box and other stuff i wont need out.

Then sort out a way of getting rover and box in cause itll be hard as fuck to do it the way the 18r came out.

Anybody know off hand what LSD diff/diff heads will bolt into the van??????

A little more progress. But no pics

Got the gearbox out, top mount bracket was a pain in the ass but at least the box isnt heavy and the van was high enough to easily lie underneath.

Going to pull the engine down so i can mount it just using the block then rebuild it. Also to make sure all the major stuff is still good before mounting it.

So caught up with ol' leebo3 at the kumeu hot rod show.

We was crusing the swapmeeet stands when i came across these.

2 x 14x8 steels. got them for $10 each.

14x8steelie.jpg

Went to workshop today and had a quick test fit to check offsets. Prefect fit i reakon :mrgreen:

steelstest.jpg

sweetasoffset.jpg

prefectfit.jpg

Also almost fully stripped the block down. Both heads are off and the front cover and intake.

Cylinders appear mint with no lip at all and frost plugs look new as suggesting it may have had a rebuild at some stage. although the heads are oily as and there is heaps of carbon round the valves. Musta been running rich as. Will check pricing on rings and bearings before pulling the crank and pistons as might leave it as is.

question: Couple of the longer head bolts had some oil on them when i pulled them out. Like real runny/ quite abit. Is this odd or normal?

• 2 weeks later...

So i borrowed some wide steels to see if 14s would be the biz , looks good, might go 15s with slighter higher tyre profile. will have a photo shop play later and see what it looks like lower

P2020453.jpg

P2020457.jpg

P2020463.jpg

Only problem is that the sliding door wont open. Decision time. wide wheels and work on door solution later or reduce offset? hmmm

P2020464.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well, i have 2 weeks holiday now so been gettin stuck in. Hopefully the rain holds off.

Yesterday i got the engine mounted using discovery mounts with a bit of 'adjustment' to one mount. Sitting in the original Van chassis mounts. win there. will need to add some steel here and there to make sure the engine is sitting square. next is to somehow bolt the box up to dummy block so i can line that up and make a mount.

Pics tomorro hopefully.

Well went back to workshop today. Bolt gearbox to dummy block. Getting a large auto box 500mm off the ground lined up to a block and then bolted on is real hard by ones self. Thank god for floor jacks and screw adjustable axle stands.

Started on new gearbox mount. Thankfully the original brackets and the gearbox part are only about 25-30mm offset to each other So isnt going the be that hard.

Any way few pics of progress.

08042009055.jpg

New mount. Impressed myself actually. Took so long to cut through the thick steel even with a plasma cutter!

08042009057.jpg

Also thinking about using landrover fuel injection setup. Will need computer and new cam etc. looking at at least a grand. Might leave that one till later.

08042009059.jpg

ZOMG! trumpets, Cant see them though when top piece is on

08042009058.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well its been awhile.

In between topping up oil and driving it lots i'm slowing getting through the panel work.

The front fell off the other weekend

Panelwork.jpg

Fixed most of the rust round the front. Got a bit more bog work and sanding then its time to start down one side.

Sheetmetal + Pneumatic shears > My finger.

Oh also got all 4 steels wire brushed and primed. Colour decisions time. any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Well it turns out you can drive one of these HEAPS once the alternator craps out. But i put her in the garage before my luck ran out. Turns out getting the alternator off and out is a shitty job. Engine mounts get in your way, fan gets in your way. and once its unbolted there is no way it will come out without removing the radiator and forcing it past the fan :rolleyes:

I also dont recommend using carb-clean on a smokey engine in a small garage unless you want to sit outside for half an hour while the fumes clear :)

Will post photos of various updates once i remember to get my camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i found some pictures i hadnt posted up before.

Repost

panelwork-1.jpg

All primed up ready for reassembly

primed.jpg

Steels all primered and sanded waiting for me to pick a colour, thinking gold face silver lip just to be cliche

P7260734.jpg

How the van looks to date - cause i realised i havent posted one in ages.

todATE.jpg

Panel work will happen over the next few weeks. im gonna drag my self to the workshop at least 3 nights a week.

Should get a smaller welder i can use at home. industrial welder needs big current supply :(

• 3 weeks later...

So whats going on here then

PB180939.jpg

PB180938.jpg

Also playing with paint ideas now that i have photo shop. Heres a quick couple i drew up last night.

Vanchop-biege.jpg

Vanchop-grey.jpg

Am liking the grey but both colours look matte in these pics where as the van will be done in a gloss (probably :D )

• 2 months later...

Went to pick a part today.

- Finally got a spare sliding door. Rusty as but cant be to fussy.

- New shifter linkages as i bent the old ones getting engine out,

- Econovan Center shift gear linkages. Should fit up nicely so will have a play once motor and box is fully mounted

- Water tank out of camper - Was there and might cme in handy

- Caravan power hook up - good for those snowboard roadies in winter

- And spare engine bay covers. Need to cut them so new intake fits and want a spare set incase/for when i fuck it up.

Tomorrows job is make new gearbox crossmember and find camera to upload pics i took today

K well i suck at keeping any sort of secret so heres some pics of progress on the van since late last year

Well first off, a little recap.

After i lost job and discovered Rover V8 wasnt going a simple fit i chucked another 18R in. After about 2 weeks of driving it i discovered that the new motor used an engines worth of oil in 2 weeks so come December last year i brought a 1GGEU off UTERUS and set about chucking it in

pb180927.jpg

p2230052.jpg

After a bit of running round i got hold of 2 G52 (Van/column shift) gearboxes that will bolt to the supplied bellhousing.

1G engine mounts were so close to fitting the factory mount points but were a tad thinner so sat the engine a bit low so i bolted up the 18R rubbers (after drilled hole for guide pin) And this brought it up quite abit more. Just need to notch the holes down some and chuck my industrial washers and new bolts in. Washers will get welded on to make sure engine doesnt shift.

pb190942opjb.jpg

pc080036.jpg

Needed a new gearbox crossmember so have started piecing it together and once thats mounted i can finish bolting up engine. The square tubing is only there to hold the angle iron in place till its fully welded and braced, and yes it will definatly be getting a metric shit ton of bracing

p2230053.jpg

p2240055.jpg

p2240056.jpg

p2250060.jpg

Got a hold of a higher ratio LSD diff head which should bring the revs down allowing a better crusing RPM. also skids :mrgreen:

Gonna try use this econovan centre shift cause ima tall cunt and column shift hits my knee (Yes, i know i know, BUt its all about comfort and skids and centre shift will solve a few issues ive had.)

p2230049.jpg

Pics of shit i got from pickapart,

p2230051.jpg

p2230050.jpg

p2240057h.jpg

A new toy we picked up for cheap to have play with

p2240058.jpg

Omg gearbox hanging by itself. no more jack. Quite proud of myself seen i managed to get the insert in the right place even with my shitty measurements.

gboxxmember3-1.jpg

Gboxxmember1-1.jpg

Gboxxmember2.jpg

Yes its bare metal. Waiting on some large drums of red oxide etch primer to show up at workshop and ill give it a paint. maybe.