ruff kunt's MS63 crown wagon.

Spencer

Discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/38307-ruff-kunt-automotives-ms63-crown-wagon-blue-whale/

Ok been meaning to make one for awhile for the criz wags but haven't done any work just been collecting bits so didn't want to post up just yet then fail at my plans.

For those that dont know I bought the car in February when sam aka loceda was heading overseas. He used the bagged chassis from his coupe and put the wagon body on it which can be found here and if your interested the bag setup from the coupe here

Went out with Wayne tonight and took a few pics Waynes still getting used to his camera so we didn't quite sort them properly and didn't have time to shop them up only really like the top one :D

diddymediummj8.jpg

diddyemediumjm4.jpg

diddye2mediumlj7.jpg

093mediumhw2.jpg

^ not the best pic but the last one is a dummy 1jz block and box in a parts car which I'm working out mounts and other issues. Plans are to 2jzge it Ive ended up with 3 2jz's two of them from $500 cars and one from doing a 1jzgte conversion for a guy which is under way. Im just going to chuck in one of the high km 2jz's and rebuild another on the side. I don't want to immobilise the car so it will be fully dummied up in the parts car drive shaft sorted and the wags fully wired so its drop in. I have a factory coloum change setup so plans are to keep it auto and run a benchy. Other plans include sorting some shocks in it so I can use it (which is almost underway) just a general tidy up and sort some of the bag setup and just drive it paint etc will be way down the line

Sweet so decided to put a stock chassis under the wags to get it legal, so stole the chassis from under suttons old crown got it all undone in one night then rolled it out saturday morning

spence058mediumyf9.jpg

Was just going to chuck it straight under the wagon but it was real crusty and had alot of surface rust so I set about stripping it down by sat arvo we had steam cleaned it and it was prepped ready for paint. first was an etch primer/ rust kill.

spence078mediumkk5.jpg

then hit it with a satty b underseal and called it a night

spence101mediumdl3.jpg

spence115mediumpr3.jpg

Got up this morning and got the chassis home then set about cleaning and dismanatling the diff and suspension arms and preping them for paint.

spencersreborncrown002mcm4.jpg

spencersreborncrown013mxg2.jpg

And thats as far as i got today, it seems abit over the top for a chassis that wont be my final one but I wanted to dismantle it and check all the bushes and ball joints for the re-vin. So seemed like a good idea to tidy it up plus it will go back under the car it came from and that needs a re-vin also. Getting new ball joints and shocks then it should be all go to chuck under the wagon next weekend

• 3 weeks later...

ok so tidying up the chassis took and extra week than I expected but got allot accomplished, machined and re-kitted the brakes and painted everything. Chucked in new ball joints, shocks, pads, shoes etc etc

Painted up and assembled rear end

p6190002gj8.jpg

lushed up front end

p6190003or4.jpg

p6190004qp4.jpg

Lifted off the body sat

p6220012ao0.jpg

two sad chassis-less crowns :cry:

p6220014om2.jpg

new chassis ready to go under the wags

p6220010bq2.jpg

Wayne trying to hide from the camera, pay back cunt

p6220015sc6.jpg

105 inspecting the old bagged up chassis

p6220008dl5.jpg

As shit stands tonight just got back wags is all bolted up to the new chassis should be dropping motor in tomorrow night.

p6230017cl4.jpg

Also in this time Ive taken the wags down to my friend at the panel shop we cut open the sills and sorted all the rust they were mint inside all fish oiled up which was a bonus. Also did several other patches its now (mostly) rust free. Me and Wayne have gone over the other chassis and come up with some ideas and improvements for bagged chassis v2. These include a watts link to eliminate the wheel rub, A small notch so the rear will sit as low as the front with some 15's im sorting. And custom front lower arms in the front and we should be away laughing. All mods are pending a chat with the certifier to point us in the right direction but should be gravy

• 2 months later...

Shit things have gone slow but shes all ready to get vinned

p7270013mediumos6.jpg

just trying to sort some stock steels and suitable tyres and just generally making sure they've got nothing to ping me on as im sure there going to be cunts :D

Anyway been around the shed most nights working on it but most of mt times been sorting out having to many parts cars got rid of 3 shells in a couple weeks takes ages to strip them of everything I want a few pics

this is a factory 2jz 95ish crown chassis the engine will go in the wags and the chassis is for sam. He plans to drop a 75 coupe on it due to it being IRS and a 2jz bolts in also has wider wishbones for the factory bolt in 1uz option

p7270012mediumsp8.jpg

this is just a parts car kind of makes me keen for a no front ratty crown with a roof chop

p7270001mediumtl8.jpg

and this is my parts wagon I chopped the shit out of with a sabre saw. Ive kept the floor pan to dummy up on later model chassis as I have a 130 series wagon crown Ive scored which I'd like to base the 63's bagged chassis off. Also kept rear quarters as wouldn't find another wagon quarter anywhere.

p8110028mediumpk4.jpg

p8110029mediumjj6.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hah, thread heist!

This is now Mine, Picked it up on saturday thanks to the great help of Tow vehicle driver Leeboe.

This has pretty much been sitting in Spencers Garage at the fort since Hawkes Boes, so had thoughts of taking some gas and some oils that it had lost through leaky sump plugs seals, and starting it up to drive onto trailer.

However that didnt seem to be the case. Starter motor is choosing not to wind over for some reason. Thought it might be inhibiter switch, but had a look today and I'm still not convinced,

SO thanks to Mike-e and Shagwags for leading a hand pushing it on the trailer.

Need to pull trans out anyway to replace with one that doesnt kick out of third, so will check starter then...

So plan is get Vinned in time for hawkes boes labour weekend.

Shouldnt be too hard I dont think. had a bit of a look and play over car today. Biggest concern is probabaly the seat belts in the front (wont need any for the rear given year) They are a bit frayed and faded... so might look into getting them re webbed if i can, or look through the spares.

Pretty much in love with this wagon the more i look at it.

Came with all the bag chassis and stuff also, so once legal, will start building up that chassis so i can get it to lay frame on the wheel tyre combo i want to run.

And sorry, wish i had pics but camera cable is at work

Heaps stink!

So as with any wagon, its all about the accerssories

Especially such a fine wagoneer wagon like this one.

So to make it my own I figured i better jam some stuff on there.

So I had this visor off the Sedan i just sold, trial fit it thinking that i might need to paint it black, and yes, i did need to paint it black haha

IMG_6743.jpg

IMG_6744.jpg

Also when i picked up the wagon, it was on the 14x8's that made it pretty damn low, and also impossible to get on the trailer, so i had grabbed some wheels from home. one of them happened to be a rim that Spence once had on this wagon, and had since sold to lee, with a pin strip white wall on it.

After seeing it back on there, i knew that it has to be the look to go for, so i will be getting another set for this, as it also sits it at a pretty drivable hight.

So I put another one on to see what it looks like, the answer was clear.

IMG_6746.jpg

And the other problem i had was that it was lackinga radio Ariel, IE: something else to attach things to. So I had remebered lee had bought a clip on one ages ago, and it wasnt being used; So that is now also attached for extra jeah

IMG_6747-1.jpg

Anyway, enough chit chat

Next steps will be toward getting the car legal

Not much of an update, have actually started doing stuff toward a revin, instead of just sitting in the garage staring at the car thinking about how fucken sweet it is,

Changed the front springs, well started to, got the drivers side done, which to my suprise wasnt as bad as I had thought. If you have ever done springs in double wish bone car, you will know they are really long and have a small area to jam into,

however the springs that came with it are after market, so not as long, therefore easy to fit

IMG_6770.jpg

As you can see, they are about the same length, but super uprated

However passenger side lower ball joint is being a total cunt, so might have to use ball joint splitter fork on it, and maybe replace the ball joint it self.

We will see.

Next step is drive up to hamilton and get the rest of the stuff, so i can fit some factory bumpstops / caster rods. then thats the front done.

Also was pretty happy and mildly suprised to see things like new brake hoses etc. Going to make the revin much easier.

Fuck, have written this like three times

Anyway,

Got bored, worked on car

managed to fit passenger front spring.

then started on rear.

Removed rear exhaust section as it was going under diff.

And pulled springs and shocks

Current rear

IMG_6772.jpg

Cuts verse cut cuts

IMG_6775.jpg

And a shock, not sure if its an ms55 or hilux, i'm guessing hilux

IMG_6776.jpg

Then refit the 195/75's I want to run and jacked it up to the bumps

IMG_6774.jpg

Turns out to lay frame (which is the name of the air bag game) Is going to take a bit of work. two options

Option one:

Notch chassis, relocate top diff mount so its lower,set up watts linkage, And raise floor (this is a problem, as its a wagon, and wagons are for sleeping in when wagoneering!!!! (something I never saw spence do haha :P))

Option two:

notch chassis, fit and IRS rear end (possibly out of a later model crown) and maybe widen the rear wheel archs slightly to allow for the added rear camber when slammed.

I have a feeling that the IRS option is pretty much the only way to go, as I really dont want to raise the boot floor.........

Thoughts?

So i did the misson back up to hamiton today to get all the other stuff. was mildly worried it wouldnt all fit, but it did!!!!

And huge thanks to brad for lending me a hand, made life so much easier!

So i got a car trailer load of shit,

IMG_6777.jpg

A boot load of shit

IMG_6778.jpg

And a back seat load of shit

IMG_6779.jpg

I also got some number plates! Almost had a wank on the spot because there were two matching black plates!

IMG_6781.jpg

then got home and checked what it said in the system....

hang on, my car isnt a Certian mitsi sigma that we all knew and loved.........

DOH!!!!!!!!!!

Guess i should have checked the web for what plates I should have tracked down.. oh well. hopefully it shouldnt become a problem and photo evidence should be enough for a revin.... I hope!

From Camels build

DSCN0001.jpg

Edit: Also huge thanks to LEE!!!!!!!!! for the use of his work motor vehicle. I would have been fucked without it

Anyway, did a bit more.

Removed the the seat belts to get them remade, however only one of them has a factory build label so they are going to be no good for a revin, so going to buy some static 3 points from repco due to a lovely hook up from sorison (hopefully haha)

IMG_6786.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

Um, what else.......... Oh chucked the rear factory bump stops back in. and pulled out the head light support rings as they have broken from trying to hold in the chrome eye lids. So will either weld or find some replacments.

And figured out what I can do with battery, as I found one with bolt holes in them so that should work out mint, just hope it charges up nicely tomorrow.

Also under that tarp was all this stuff, and it all mostly went into this shed.

IMG_6783.jpg

IMG_6784.jpg

And what else, oh yeah, going to have to address this rust unfortunaly, in the passenger side a pillar, shouldnt take much though, will just remove window chrome and give it a grind back, weld in some shit and have a party. A bog party that is.

IMG_6789.jpg

freaken sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Slowly getting through it.

With battery charged can start on getting it running again, setting up the shift cable etc.

Bit of an update, good for me, not exciting for you

GOT IT RUNNING!!!!!!!!!

turns out at some stage along the line, someone had fit the wrong wire to the starter motor. hence it not going

This was after I pulled out the starter to make sure it was working haha

So jeah, now it runs

Found out it has an exhaust leak at the manifold to down pipe exhaust.

which is another job to do haha. but thats fine.

Getting there anyway.

have ordered new stock rear shocks

and hopefully will get some stock rear springs this weekend

Also popped into the revin place

they gave me a decleration form which I need to sign in front of an offical person, like a lawyer, or a member of parliment haha

not sure if it can be any lawyer though, will have to find out as I will be catching up with a good old family friend who is a laywer this weekend haha

thats to prove I am the legal owner

Anyway

WOOP!

Casual update

Have been collecting more parts

Got some factory rear shocks (comapred to the shortened ones)

IMG_6792.jpg

Some randoms springs from the local wreakers (kinda fit pretty good, however the flat section of the spring is at the wrong end.... so thinking I might need to cut the bottom coil off, and clean it up real nice so it looks factory, so it sits in the bottom spring perch nicely)

IMG_6793.jpg

And my awesomely repaired headlight rings

IMG_6794.jpg

Churr

Right

Been doing some stuff

Car is now jacked to shit, and at work.

Started sorting out the little things, I have started making the rear section of the exhaust and got a new exhaust gasket.

Bolted in the bench seat properly.... got 3 out of 4 head lights bolted in correctly..... er..... yeah, getting there haha

Currently on Lee's sweet wheels. Probabaly will still be when it goes for revin

Also, HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Its so fucken high, If lee can fit under your car, you are gay

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg

IMG_6798.jpg

Magic times

Lack of pic fail, will take some later.

anyway update fun

Car is booked in for the check, on monday... week!

Which doesnt leave me mch time at all to get it sorted for hawkes boes if they find something wrong.

making me heaps nervous to be honest.

And that was the earliest they could take it,

I have just spent most the day working on it because work is slow. Exhasut is all done, rust repair is welded (did just notice another small hole on the otherside I should probabaly fix)

However having problems with seat belts.

got some at a real good price but they wont work, so now i need to buy more, And that cost more money.

However I have over a week to sort them now, so not stressing...

Now I dont know what to do. Just top up trans with more fluid and wait the time out I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW update!!!!!!

So today was monday, which meant the crown went for its revin check

Which sucks because I spent all weekend trying to firgure out why the damn indicators wont work, and still didnt get it sorted.

Still that aside, it failed on a few other things

But fuck all when compared to what it could fail on, so thumbs up to the guys who have worked on this before me.

Broom broom

IMG_6813.jpg

And I got this :( sad words

IMG_6814.jpg

That had this written on it

IMG_6815.jpg

So BOOOOM!

So far off that list, I have figured out the indicators now (I think)

The Number plate lights are go (had to do some extra wiring)

And have started hunting out my shit for another pitman arm with no play......

So tomorrow I will find out what wires on the box i need to work with, and chuck in a relay to get the reverse lights to work.

And then once pitman arm is sorted its, WHAM! Legal wagon time

Which should all happen before friday, as its a holiday here on friday,

Then its slam time.

Soooooooooo.... what has happened in here then aye??

Oh yes, I figured out the bitch of a problem with the Indicators, turns out the relay for the Lamp failer circuit wasnt doing its thing properly, So replaced than and boom, working indicators

Fixed the number plate lights by re wiring them,

And make a bit of a whory setup to get some reverse lights going, which involved a micro switch and a relay

And I found i had a good second hand Pitman arm, so that fixed that.

But what does it all mean???

IT MEANS ITS TOTALLY LEGIT AND LEGAL! POW

Mind explosion

So then I did some other stuff, like fit fit a totally sick set of Nostalgia Number plates.

Hah!

And started lowering it again, and I fit the new visor, looks dreamy. I love visor club

Pics

Reverse light switch, super engineered

IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_6816.jpg

One of these and these

IMG_6820.jpg

IMG_6821.jpg

With these Haha / LOL/ Laugh (Like my attempt at making them look older and shit. didnt work to well but better than shiny fancy check out my plates stz)

IMG_6819.jpg

And currently in the state.

Slammed in the back

IMG_6823.jpg

BRING ON SUMMER / hawkes Boes / Lowering the front

So have sepnt today doing some shit on this

Got the front all slammed, the wheels on, CB mounted and wired, Exhaust welded back over to go under the diff, and Fit my gear Knob

So Bring on Hawkes Boes / Summer Cruisng!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6826.jpg

IMG_6827.jpg

IMG_6828.jpg

Just need to fit the half moons over the head lights and then the chrome surronds can go back on the front, and she will look amazing!

might ry lee's Spider caps on the wheels too.... not sure how the red has worked out really, but will do for now.!

• 4 weeks later...

So, ever since getting this Legal, I have been driving the crap out of it. taking on all sorts of hot rod runs, cruises etc

however, A week after getting legal, went for a Pro parts cruise, Was in convoy, Hilux shoots past and BOOM!, loud noise from a stone hitting wind sheild results in Smashed to pieces Vision.

So we dissassenbled the screen in all its little pieces, then contiuned on the cruise to the pub.

Tell you what, You meet alot of bugs out in the country at 100kmH. And its sure good for soul.

So anyway, thought i had a spare windscreen, turns out off all the things i do have, a screen wasnt one. So i shelled out $315 for a new one, which in my opioion isnt to bad! Plus i wanted it dont asap because ther was another run the next weekend, Which i didnt end up going to, because at the very bottom of the poster it said (NO JAPPAS)

Fucken faggots

Anyway, thats my story. Have a run coming up on the first on December, Might roll on the widened steels for a change.

Pics

DSC04338.jpg

One smashed screen, got to love toughend glass

DSC04353.jpg

Cruising with the wind in our hair

DSC04355.jpg

DSC04356.jpg

DSC04360.jpg

Results in lots of bugs in your grill

DSC04375.jpg

So mexian

DSC04337.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not really an update.

Had a car run to do on friday, thought it would be bad ass to run on the wide steels.

Chucked them on, went for a test run up the road. came back, pulled them off haha

Shit is so sweetly slammed, but some work is needed to run them with a static slam. Muffler is mounted right under the gear selector on the gear box, so turns out when the exhuast hits the ground it knocks the gear shifter into first.

Not the best at 100km.

So somthing to do in the future

Anyway, its a shame, becasue fuck it looks sweet on those rims

Before

IMG_6858.jpg

After

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6863.jpg