su carburettors

sentra

having a play with a pair of hif6's and was wondering something, i realise the needles shape is the 'adjusted' part, but does the 'jet' ever change?

i put a kit trough each one (haddnt had it running previosuly), which came with replacement 'jets', (which have a diffirent style of pickup), we started the engine and it runs eyewateringly rich right thoughout the adjustable jet height range.

so its 1 of 3 things,

- incorrect 'jet'

- problem with the cold start enrichment valve

- fuel pressure -> currently running 4.5psi (measured) on a facet pump.

ill put the old jets back in tomorrow, was just intrested/bouncing ideas really

• Like 1

^^ as said, could be needle valve in float bowl not sealing properly, which causes fuel height in the float chamber to be higher than jet and the fuel just pisses in to the carb. Give it a tap / take it out and blow through it while lifting up and down the float to check its doing its job. It was this that stranded me in the fucking wellington motorway tunnel in the mini.

OR

Yes, there are different sized jets, which sounds to be more likely your problem. HIF38/HS4/HS2's use 0.090" jets, while HIF44/HS6 use 0.100" jets.

Su's aren't all that bad, you just need to know what can go wrong. Custom needles are pretty easy to make on the lathe with emery paper too, i did the one in my car. Once tuned right they are great carbs imo

cheers man, thats exactly what i wanted to know but couldnt find anywhere, i know the needle valves are working as i replaced them and bench tested the unit. you dont happen to know what the 'non adjustable' float height should be set to also?

• Like 1

Unsure off my head, but i do know it is very important. What is the car? It should be in the relevant manual.

If its wrong you'll probably have to pack up the needle valve with a washer or something. Had to do this in my HS4. The early carbs had a brass shim for the arm or the float so you could just bend and adjust it.