Can someone measure a capri or mk3+ cortina Rack for me

Gaz

yo, what a coincidence, ive been messing round with racks this week too, getting a R33 one to fit in my capri. Capri's width from end of tie rod thread, to end of tie rod thread (no rose joints) equals 43.5" (1105ish) but more importantly, the width between the inner ball joints is 26.5" (measurements taken from a 1974 mk 1 capri.) hope this helps you, i've got a steering rack in a million bits if you want any more measurements off it. chur.

I've just copied the width, and location of the old capri rack, just on the other side of the crossmember with the skyline one. i.e. same height, distance from centreline of the crossmember, same distance between inner ball joints etc. should be right eh? kinda hope so cos im just about to weld my new mounts on haha.

but! if you get esky struts with the removable steering arm and make a custom steering arm ( lazer for water jet cut from 16mm plate steel ) then it mite be ok. sounds like you know about the Ackerman angle shit so u shud understand what i mean..... line between top ov strut, bottom balljoint and tie rod shud go thur center of rear diff.

you mean these suckers?

Steeringarm.jpg

The way i figured, since they're both the same angle it shouldnt matter with them being on opposite sides, mustnt have done enough research, but i cant see how it'd be a problem, how would i have to make them differently if i was to make new ones? I'm not swapping the TCA's, just the struts. TCA's seem to dictate all the camber/ castor/toe etc, I've just googled to try to find some diagrams, do you know of any good reference sites?

is it this angle thats going to cause problems?

Steeringarmangle.jpg

I drew a rough diagram on autocad last night, figured if i took the measurement from the centreline of the lower bush to the outer rose joint on the rack then the measurement from the xmember to the inner ball joint, and added the difference to the first measurement, it'd give me back the 2odd degrees difference in the 2 wheels, where as the way i had it before would have effectively made the outer wheel cut a tighter circle.

haha i bet you'll have to read that twice for it to make any sense, I'm better with pictures. thanks for your help dude.

yo dude, cheers for putting me right there, would have understeered straight into a powerpole otherwise, I'm going to try use the standard steering arms turned around the other way for a start, since im going low there could be enough movement in the ball joints to allow for the angle in it, otherwise ill make up some new billet ones with an adjustable height rosejoint from 4340 or similar. just another bump in the road, car building is interesting like that eh..

yeh thats a good idea, could also just parallell bore it at use an aftermarket rose joint, could shim it up for adjustment that way. capri's good in the way that the rack sits level with the inner ball joints. should all be quite level. hell it can all be made adjustable anyway. seriously cant be fucked making a new one, gonna quit my job anyway, wont have access to a machine shop anymore = gay.

fucking awsome. Cheers for that Rich dude.

Think im going to get some hex steering rod lengthners made from Key steel. Seems like the go.. My only problem is the god damn massive toe in I have now lol. Seems like you are going through all the same things I just have lol.

Can you make bottom arms etc Jase? My cert guy would'nt/wont let me make anything unless it was to be tested in some special way which made it way to expensive.

So ready to get back into this sucker 2moro morn and get it going.

I had a chat to my cert dude about making hubs, steering arms etc and he just said not without design cert. a mate of mine is designing a complete front crossmember and suspension from scratch for his 260c, all of which has to go through design cert, he's not too worried, loving it etc. talented guy though. Ive run into heaps of problems after this thread/ doing some proper research, ill definately be picking some brains about it over the next few days.