Using Celica Gearbox X member???

TOYOPET

Hey... i was told on the weekend that i can use a RWD celica gearbox x member to put a t50 into ke3X.... anyone know if this is true or not and anyone tried it???

the guy reckons it would bolt straight up with no modding needed...?

let me know what you guys know...

cheers.

depends where you mount the engine, theres about 1 zillion different rwd celicas get this guy to clarify which one. Would take fuck all to mod your existing one than find one from some form of celica. I slotted the 2 outside holes of random ke20,30 and 70 gearbox memebers to fit different shit several times. Its pretty simple as they only bolt to the floor with 2 bolts instead of 4 like bigger stuff

oh... no idea who the guy is... just a random that came to pick up another motor my mate had stored at home... he was all knowledgeable and was telling me lots of things... just thort id check it out...

the x member I've got at the moment is rooted tho... don't really wanna re use it.... the t50 has a x member on it tho... could just use that one?

If you're keen to get things like this sussed before it goes in then a search on toyspeed or a similar overseas forum may help. Just try and find other 4age into ke3* conversions and see what they used/send pms if they don't say. Make sure you know where they mounted the motor also because it might be slightly different.

Otherwise its probably not too difficult to get it sorted once its in the car. Get the engine mounted up where it needs to be and make sure all the clearances are sweet and then see how the gb xmember looks. Sometimes you can get away with using the xmember slotted or on datsun to fj conversions I know they can actually spin it around because the bolt holes are offset.

Sorting it out once the motors mounted is probably the best way. It will make the conversion take abit longer but atleast you know its going to be right, rather than trying to make a random celica one fit when things are slightly different.

yeah thats a damn good idea... just don't wanna get half way through the conversion and hit a brick wall... wasn't sure how hard RWD celica x members were to find... thort if i know its gonna work id start looking for one... also don't really have any hook ups with people who can fabricate me stuff for cheaps....

Will just go ahead with it and see how it goes when its in and what not...

thanks for the help, much appreciated.

it will honestly just need the holes slotted or a tiny weld we've done 4ages into 20's a 35 and my old ke70 before and have a stash of x-members from 20's 30's and 70's. I'll bring them up after new year they're all similar some have little bends in them and can be flipped to get it in the correct spot its like the simplest bit of your conversion. Just use a seatbelt if you cant find anything :D

Your biggest concern should be if your buying those trademe mounts where they put the engine, whos wiring it? and get a good fuel system with a surge tank.

'd also look at brakes, but with good pads the stock 30 ones would just do for certs but you'd still fade them at the track. Ae86 shits way to dear I'd mash some x6 mark 2 struts (slight overkill but dirt cheap) in there preferably chopped down. probably should start saving and run coilover front on them and get it all cert'd at once

^^ohk yeah bring some x members up if you remember.... have got a few seatbelts lying around tho hahaha

don't know about those mounts yet cos the cunt still hasn't sent them... i paid for them on monday last week... emailed him.. still waiting for a reply.....

fuel system... no idea... :(

Wiring.... probably an auto sparky... i dont wanna have a go at it!!!

and as for brakes.... we'll see how they hold up at trackday! i aint gonna be going hard at next one so yeah... have found an sx60 parts car.... so that might be the goes?

^ well the brakes on ya wagon while they pull it up ok will go pretty quick after a few speedy stops. Your going to be going alot quicker with the 4age in there its like twice the power of the original k series. Our ke20 with a 4age down in taupo failed certs on stock brakes with good pads etc and thats a lighter car with similar brakes same engine. But some people have passed on the stock shit so meh But no way I'd roll on them