Noisy valves after changing oil

Scrubb

Yeah, I got the GTX if I remember right..

Another question, it said to put 3.5L in without replacing fuel filter and 4L when replacing fuel filter so I did 4L and replaced the fuel filter and the dip stick says Full (3.5) and its about almost half a litre over that. Is it too bad to have it over filled almost half a litre?

Thats interesting about the valves, if I get them adjusted again I might try 0.1 and 0.2 like you said. Valves openeing up more sounds like a good idea

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think GTX (white bottle) is only SL specification, GTX Protec 15W40 (black bottle) is SM. Castrol is good, but I found for the same price you could get Valvoline oil which was just as good, if not better in 5L packs as opposed to the 4L Castrol packs.

depends how old the stock you are looking at is. i looked about 7 months ago, and it was sm then. it didnt used to be, but was then. jafa stores tend to have high turnover. if you are small town, perhaps its still sitting on the shelf from 1983?

overfilling the engine will just cause it to burn and or leak it. can also help glaze the bores.

over tightening the clearances can lead to burnt valves from not seating properly. you should adjust them correctly to the right figure. there is some technique in it. i think i last adjusted valve clearances about 6 years ago :-)

well designed HLA's and clean oil for the win :-)

Another question, it said to put 3.5L in without replacing fuel filter and 4L when replacing fuel filter so I did 4L and replaced the fuel filter and the dip stick says Full (3.5) and its about almost half a litre over that. Is it too bad to have it over filled almost half a litre?

Thats interesting about the valves, if I get them adjusted again I might try 0.1 and 0.2 like you said. Valves openeing up more sounds like a good idea

That's bone dry, when you drain the oil there is no way to get all the oil out of the sump as it sits in the very bottom below where the drainplug is. I always put through about half a liter of fresh oil while the drain plug is still out so it runs through and displaces most of the old oil. Also oil filters have shrunk smaller over the years. The original filter size from 1981 is probably alot bigger than the generic filters you find on the shelf now. A good idea is to fill it up about 3L, then keep checking the dipstick after adding oil about 250ml at a time. Then after running the engine check the oil again when it's cold and top up if needed.

Also, you said fuel filter - surely you mean oil filter? If you changed the fuel filter instead of the oil filter doing an oil change I would be worried.

That's bone dry, when you drain the oil there is no way to get all the oil out of the sump as it sits in the very bottom below where the drainplug is. I always put through about half a liter of fresh oil while the drain plug is still out so it runs through and displaces most of the old oil. Also oil filters have shrunk smaller over the years. The original filter size from 1981 is probably alot bigger than the generic filters you find on the shelf now. A good idea is to fill it up about 3L, then keep checking the dipstick after adding oil about 250ml at a time. Then after running the engine check the oil again when it's cold and top up if needed.

Also, you said fuel filter - surely you mean oil filter? If you changed the fuel filter instead of the oil filter doing an oil change I would be worried.

Thats what i was thinking he didnt just say it once it was like 5 times or so.

Me hopes not.

Ahh.. that makes sense, I just drained a bit out and its now near full or right on full so I hope theres no more oil leaking down the side of my nice clean engine.. well was clean.. :( Thanks for your help everyone

Get your tappets re-adjusted, re-fill with an oil you've had success with. If still noisy, check other valvetrain stuff as fuel said

Yeah, I'll have to do that but will have to wait till I get some money and someone to help me adjust them lol

Thanks everyone, glad I drained some out cuz Ive heard stories of bad things happening when oil has been overfilled. Usually I put in roughly 3L and then put some more in small increments but I usually have to top up a little again later so I put the whole lot in this time. Lesson learnt.. will make sure I do it as I always have next time. Thanks everyone

half a liter overfull isn't too serious, crankcase pressure would probably increase a bit but generally not enought to cause damage. It's when you overfill it by 1 or 2 liters you run into troubles.

I can probably adjust tappets sometime after work during the week, or maybe this weekend if I have time. As for the fuel leaking out of the pump, the pump diaphragm has split and it will most likely be leaking out of the weep hole, or worse leaking fuel into the engine oil on the other side of the diaphragm.

half a liter overfull isn't too serious, crankcase pressure would probably increase a bit but generally not enought to cause damage. It's when you overfill it by 1 or 2 liters you run into troubles.

I can probably adjust tappets sometime after work during the week, or maybe this weekend if I have time. As for the fuel leaking out of the pump, the pump diaphragm has split and it will most likely be leaking out of the weep hole, or worse leaking fuel into the engine oil on the other side of the diaphragm.

I dont know if its leaking out of the pump itself but theres oil around and below it and it only got there after I changed the oil but I'm not too sure what I'm looking at..

i overfilled my galant by an inch before, drove 50m and my fuel pump died haha, thought the extra oil caused it

but too much oil wont really do much. "too much" oil could cause you some grief

The AA guy who came to see what was wrong with my car said he went to a guys house where he'd filled it up till it came out the oil filler, wouldnt even turn over

lol atleast I knew not to do that! :lol:

I have another fuel pump if need be.. it still works fine, does that mean its still fine and was just leaking because of too much pressure or oil?

Also, I'm curious does anyone know an easy way to clean oil off without taking engine out? Kinda sux my clean head has some oil on it now lol

That could be really cool if you could help me do that.. just gotta see what happens though.. will let you know.. Thanks!