Think its fucked again

NewGuy

Fucking driving the car home today, i noticed it was a tad fucking hot.

Usually sits at the 80Degree mark on my Autogauge shit meter.

But otw home it was like 100degrees

Got home and it leaked coolant from around the water pump jacket, where it is supposed to instead of going into the cylinders or some shit.

And also out of the top of the head above number 1.

Fuck this ruined my good month!

WTF should i do

Lucky i hadnt just got, warrent, rego cert etc.

Fucking useless british peice of shit!

HELP ME

Do i pull the head off again?

Do i get a few mechanics advice before pulling it off?

Grrr this shits driving me mental!

I just want it to go for one summer and i would be happy.!!!!!!!!!

^ Not very helpful advice guys :P

I don't know fuck all about these motors but I know on alot of older engines these problems tend to arise and not be an easy fix. Heads can crack, become porous or warp. Sometimes even skimming the head doesn't ensure that it will not blow the headgasket again, as the composition of the material in the head is no longer what it was from the factory. This is probably more for cast alloy than cast iron, which I'm guessing that would be but perhaps the same principle would still apply? I know nobumps had abit of trouble with his bellet after a rebuild, basically it did exactly what yours is doing now and that was using a filthy little g150 cast head.

If its not in the head then I guess another thing that could cause it is just a generally fucked cooling system that is blocked full of crap.

Either way its a hard problem to solve as you either have to bite the bullet and rebuild the engine with a clean, flushed radiator and cooling system, then hope that it doesn't go again, or you have to just give up on the dirty old lump thats currently in there and go with something abit better, whether it be a direct replacement or something way less shit.

/I dunno.

my thoughts: bite the bullet and pull engine down completely for blcok skim and hardness check, and same on head.

alternatively, search for a decent parts car, whichyou'll also be able to pinch the manual bits form if you see fit. sadly, I believe these cars had a cunt of a problem with alloy quality in the cylinder heads....

my thoughts: bite the bullet and pull engine down completely for block skim and hardness check, and same on head.

alternatively, search for a decent parts car, whichyou'll also be able to pinch the manual bits form if you see fit. sadly, I believe these cars had a cunt of a problem with alloy quality in the cylinder heads....

Yea i know, but so many are so good lol.

The old fulla has come up with the idea that the cover that goes over the timing chain and gears etc, which the head also bolts onto may be keeping the head from coming down right, there is a possibility that this may be the problem.

I am going to pull the radiator out, dump the water etc from the block.

Take the fan off, and crack the covers bolts on the cover. then crack the head bolts. Re torque the head down and then do up the covers bolts again.

Hoping to press that cover down to rule it out from holding the head up off the block.

Re assemble and test again i guess.

I won't put coolant in the water etc.

The short block is brand new slammer, just had the head off for a hardness test and skim.

This is the last straw before i burn this fucking thing.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good plan. May be worth just whipping the head off and chucking a new gasket in for that plan though, because I reckon if its already leaking and had water pass through the gasket then it probably won't seal up very well even if that cover is the problem.

Might be worth a shot but if you do it and it doesn't seal then you haven't actually ruled it out as being the problem because the gasket could just be fucked. Does that make sense? lol

Sounds like a good plan. May be worth just whipping the head off and chucking a new gasket in for that plan though, because I reckon if its already leaking and had water pass through the gasket then it probably won't seal up very well even if that cover is the problem.

Might be worth a shot but if you do it and it doesn't seal then you haven't actually ruled it out as being the problem because the gasket could just be fucked. Does that make sense? lol

Yea very true that.

Its a arse to whip the head off taking the cam out etc, but i guess it maybe worth a shot.

If this helps it out a tiny amount but does not fix the problem i will whip the head off and get a new gasket and as i have it off i may aswell crack test it aswell?

But yes you are right.

Taking the radiator out of these cars is a prick of a job lol

As said before:

Take it to a mechanic (Jimmy Arthurs can recommend one) and get three tests done before you touch anything.

1) Leak down

2) Coolant pressure

3) TK (or KT - I can never remember)

You are out of your depth and do not have the right tools so a couple of hundred dollars spent with the right guy could save you thousands

EDIT: ^ "Out of your depth" is not an insult. I wouldn't attempt touching injection systems as I am out of my depth when it comes to such new fangled stuff.

Cheers guys,

I will ring the triumph guy i found here through another sprint enthusiast

so ill see hwat he thinks and can do for me.

I will go see jim sometime this week.

Before driving it tonight i changed the expansion tank cap with a new one, and checked the tourque on the head again.

Drove it till it got hot etc didn't seem to blow its ring even after shutting it off.

I think i will get the timing done and carbs balanced what i have ment to have done etc.

Did you replace/ recondition your waterpump with your last rebuild? it could possibly be that not pumping enough, then the extra heat could have popped the head gasket. or like whatshisface (who wasit?) said and a gunked up radiator and cooling system,but no doubt you flushed that out when you made it look all pretty etc.