Megasquirt II v3 + MSExtra

V8Pete

This whole Megasquirt thing is starting to look more complicated than I thought now I've got all the bits infront of me :lol:

I'm trying to figure out what mods I need to do before I start, and thought some clever fellow on here might have a few ideas. I'm too scared to ask on the MS forums because they use words I can't understand.

I want to run wasted spark with 4 LS1 coil packs, 60-2 flywheel and Bosch VR sensor. Apparently they have 'internal igniters' or something if that has any relevance. I also have a couple of VB921 coil drivers, but am not sure if I need them after seeing this:

ABC_Spark5_3.0.GIF

(talking about a V8 from http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_LS1.htm)

So I imagine I'd only need two of those 4K7 resistors.

Any idea what the SPRx things refer to? Would they go back into the million pin connector thing somewhere?

Is that all I need to do?

After typing that out, it's starting to sound too easy/as if I'm missing something.

These are the sites I've been looking at:

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_LS1.htm

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... wheel.html <-- I assume the setup there isn't expecting the coilpacks to have internal ignitors...maybe...? :oops:

Why not run a mitsi coil pack. they're cheap and seem easy, then just run the normal 60-2 wheel/vr style setup?

Whats the attraction to the ls1 packs?

I tried figuring it out all first, got confused as fruck. Alot easier now that I'm actually going through the steps, when you get to the options just research them when you get there

edit: I'll look at the links after work, also the SPRx holes are near where the map sensor should be (depending on version) they are "spares" i.e spare1 spare2 and so on

Whats the attraction to the ls1 packs?

I have 8 of them in my bedroom :lol:

Do Mitsi packs use VB921 drivers?

Oh, I see the SPR holes now :lol: That must be how the signal connects to the thing that looks like a printer cable.

All starting to make a bit more sense.

Chur.

not sure on your exact setup but pretty sure you just make up your circuit in the proto area then run abit of jumper wire to the pins pretty simple I think your over thinking things have you got the kit yet? Did you get MS2? its a waste of time at the moment

^ ha cheers ms2 is average nothing in there that ms1 on a v3 board with extra code wont do realy until the extra input/output board comes around

Yeah, I wish I knew what msns-e was when I ordered mine.

Also, I don't have a harness, Pete. I just got the wire cause I'm noob and got a relay board which I'll probably never end up using :rolleyes:

I should have done more research before I got into it. Oh well.. Starting to actually understand a lot more shit now. Pretty big learning curve etc (for me atleast, only ever played with carbs till now)

If you're interested:

DIYAutoTune's harness doesn't have teh SPRx wires, but will add them for $3/each.

Glen's Garage and RS Autosport's harnesses do have them and they're quite a lot cheaper than DIYAT. GG is a tad cheaper than RSA on postage.

I'll see if I can finish it on Friday afternoon after my exam.

Are there any good places to get O2 sensors and VR crank angle sensors?

Anyone know if you're meant to ever get 0 resistance over two pins of a transistor? I've soldered one in, doesn't look like I've bridged two of the pins with solder, but I'm getting 0 resistance. Should I be worried?

Any chance of checking Q23 CWG?

you shouldnt be prodding at ics/transistors with a resistance meter at all. it pushes voltage and current out and can kill your parts.

if you are following the isntructions pretty closely you'll see they say to test in blocks. other components on the board can make it seem a certain way when its not.

vb921 drivers are a bit touchy. you may not need them for your ignitor built in coils anyway,just a connection to each input from the processor/led transistors.

is this on a 4 cyl motor? if so, do you mean suedo wasted spark with four coils? or are the coils dual post and you just happen to have 8 of them?

got a pic?

someone further up said that ms2 isnt the way to go. i disagree, its way better for a bunch of reasons and has enough io to do most stuff you want. ms1e has more io, and a few features that ms2e doesnt, but ms2e has some that ms1e doesnt too.

heres a good comparison :

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Ext ... m#features

cheers.

Haha, oops. Hope I didn't fry them. I found someone talking about the same thing on a Mazda forum, so hopefully it's alright.

I didn't buy a stim so haven't been doing that block testing stuff.

4 cyl, 4 coils because they're only single post and wasted spark for simplicity. I've got 8 because they're off a V8 and the guy was selling all of them in one hit.

ok, just be careful with your dwell settings and keep an eye on temperature when you are revving it hard. because they operated for only one cylinder per engine cycle (once per two crank revolutions) they will be doing twice as much work in wasted spark mode. some are ok with it, some are lighter duty and heat up. just something to be aware of.

whats the lucky engine?

is that als red daihatsu? its pretty good ey :-)

is that rear suspension the same design as the late model 206CC ? a mate of mine had one and i gave it a good flogging, and couldnt stand it. if its the same, doesnt it drive you nuts? or has stiffening it tamed the beast? or is it different?

if you have any ms questions you are too afraid to ask on msextra.com, feel free to pm/aim/msn me about it. more than happy to help :-) esp if it means i get to hear a vid of it with the 4age throttles on it :-)

fred.