Dans Capri

Guest Boostn_capri

Guest Boostn_capri

:D Bro,

You have many options for turboing with a carb, try finding "maximum boost" by corkey bell, its the bible on this sort of thing.

The two main carb options are either:

Blow through:

I had a blow through setup on a modified std weber, the basis of it is that the turbo (compressed air ) blows down the carb throat via a plenum that is pressurised. The problem is that the throttle shafts leak petrol you can get around this by having the throttle shafts lathed and o'ringed. You also need a rising rate regulator (renault fuego turbo from wreckors) and high vol petrol pump, ie Holley blue and blank off the mechanical pump. You will also need to get bigger primary jets, the idle ones will be fine, and you will also need to make sure your carb has plastic foam filled floats, not the brass hollow floats which crush under boost. You will also need a bigger needle valve as well which lets the fuel into the float chamber. The main problem with this setup is that you cant get enough fuel into the float chamber. I ran this setup fine on 10psi 8:1 compression above 10 it detonated. For the chamber I used a LPG plenum and modied it to suit.

(I have a pic of it somewhere post your email and I will send it)

Suck through:

The norm is to use a SU carb and sucks the gas into the turbo compressor side then pressurised air is rammed across the engine straight into a std inlet manifold.

The su's have self adjusting needle in them so they are pretty good for this setup. You could use a std weber but the manifold you would have to make would be not worth the hassle. The su carb setup were available through 'Janspeed' back in the day.

Ignition:

Lock your dizzy use a sierra elec setup if you have points, or get a ECU link/megasquirt/motec if you have the cash.

8)

Hope this helps....

Good luck make sure you check out Tza's site......

http://www.retrotech.co.nz/index.html

or this german one...

http://www.geocities.com/therealpinto/

K

Guest DanSankey

well i would prefer blow through because i've got a massive intercooler i want to use, i was thinking, i could easily get hold of a 38 DGAS of a 3.0 capri, would this be any good instead of changing the jets in mine?

i want to make this work with a carb, not just for me but i know there are pleanty of other people out there who want to build pinto turbos and just get told straight away go change to EFI and that there is basically no hope for using a carb

i read david vizards book a while ago and he was making silly horsepower with suck through pinto turbos and holley carbs

You will probably have no end of trouble with the blow thru carb - collapsed floats and leaks etc - what you need to do is find an MG montego/maestro turbo and use the blow through carb from that - cheap as chips and plenty lying around where you are I would imagine.

suck thru dodgy as

1) i kinda liked it better in blue

2) i seriously think injected is the better way. i think injected is no more difficult if not easier. you say fab work is no problem then just zap up a plenum and injection rail and cough up for a semidecent ECU. seriously man, you say you got it on the road after 18months? free estimate- another 18 mths to get a carb turbo running right. welcome to the 21st century. or as said above just raid an exhisting car setup without making your own, eg MG, daihatsu, lancia....

Guest Boostn_capri

:shock:

You can use the 3litre carb it has same base to bolt on and it has a bigger float chamber so would be a better start than the 2litre, you will have to check the throttle linkages they may be different though.

If you go blow through every time you change the need for more fuel you will have to alter the jetting. E.g. more boost more fuel so bare that in mind.

There are a couple of different versions of the 2litre carbs some have a inlet and outlet for fuel inlet, others just have a inlet. And as mentioned before the floats on later model ones are filled.

If you use a malpassi adjustable fuel regulator you will need to run a return line as well which I think the mk3 capris have anyway.

Kane you've been there done that. You KNOW EFi from the start is the right choice.

davidian- I don't know why but for some reason those in the UK just don't want to go EFi? They pull it off all the modern engines and retro fit carbs. It's bizarre..

building a budget manifold is pretty easy.. I got one made and I can't even weld. Outlaying a bit of cash for a computer to run it is the only drawback and is well worth it to save time/hassle/money in the long run.

I'm not bagging carbs either! I love em. In fact. I'm selling the EFi unit off my V8 to put a carb on. :P