Starting issues... Again :(

crispymk2

Ok, I'm confused...

There is not enough power to spin starter properly, let alone crank the engine...

I've checked the voltage along the line (batt in boot) and its got full power to the solenoid but unless the battery is fully topped up (to 14+ Volts) then the car wont start.

Even at 12.5 volts at the solenoid it's not enough to crank over...

My guess would be stuffed starter motor? causing too much resistance = not enuf spinning action...

The solenoid is only 8 months old...

I've cleaned all the connections I can find/reach...

Also, the battery will drop from fully charged to 12ish volts in 3-4 days of no use.

The alternator is nearly brand new...

I think that may be because of my shitty alarm (5 years old), its a battery backup stz one and the internal battery is a bit sad, so might be drawing too much/enough to sap surface charge = no start...

Any advice?

How do I check the current draw of my alarm? I've got a multimeter but still a noob at using it...

What gauge power cable have you run from the boot?

standard stz... 2gauge? about 15mm? Not good with cable sizes. But if its got the same voltage at the solenoid (engine bay) as it does at the battery (in the boot) shouldn't that be ok? I know you lose a fair bit with the length of the cable but surely 12.5 Volts is enuf?

Make sure your "ipod, cellphone and new laptop" :wink: dont get damaged by the fire lol

Hmmm, careful you're giving me ideas... and my wife is a lawyer...

Nah, but I'm going to go get a new battery for the alarm cause I just pulled that out and then see if that fixes the current draw.

Time for a new starter motor too it would seem...

What gauge power cable have you run from the boot?

standard stz... 2gauge? about 15mm? Not good with cable sizes. But if its got the same voltage at the solenoid (engine bay) as it does at the battery (in the boot) shouldn't that be ok? I know you lose a fair bit with the length of the cable but surely 12.5 Volts is enuf?

I'm just thinking you may be loosing AMPs aye, also i had a very similar prob with my Subaru, i added an extra - to chassis lead and it went away.

if you think it's perhaps the solenoid

chuck car in neutral, key ON, and slam a spanner or large screwdriver between the two main terminals of the solenoid (to brindge them)

it'll spark a bit, but it wont do any harm. harden up etc.

if your solenoid's the problem, the car will turn over, and start. mk2 cortina has remote solenoid I imagine?

you wont get a shock from this either. I've never had a shock doing it.

in my youth we used to pinch the farmers tractor next to my parent's place by starting it in this manner with the dipstick. manual stop diesel etc. heh

just dont let it spark next to fuel and shit.

my money's on it being a poked starter. give it a whack with a hammer to loosen the brushes to perhaps get you out of trouble, but that wont work forever.