Central locking 101

Toucan

Hey boes, the previous owner of my car had the two door locks shaved, so im left with only a boot lock. Drivers door has a slave actuator in it already with two wires coming from it.

Was considering purchasing a master actuator and chucking it on my boot lock so when I unlock the boot my door unlocks. Easy enough, Probably $40. However I might end up having to open boot, walk to open my door, walk back and close the boot each time?? So I was thinking, I could probably get a better result by just putting a switch in the boot that will send a signal to the actuator and unlock the door, this would be cheaper for me and would mean open boot, flick switch, close boot.

What kind of signal do the actuators need to operate? Does it get 12v down one wire and earth the other to lock, and then reverse the wires to unlock? Any flaws in my plan?

Yea will do it all properly with an alarm at a later date, for now I've sussed it out so I can unlock the door though without crawing over the backseat, and it cost me nothing :)

edit: guttered, there were uniden alarms for $39 down from $99 on that 1day site but they have sold out already! Would have been ideal neil

yeh actuators are just electric motors all geared down so all you need is +ve and -ve one way to lock and flip it to open, so you dont even need relays just need a 3 pole switch, center do nothing, left open, right lock, then all u do is hook 12v feed up, few jumper wires so one ways goes +ve -ve one way and reversies it and sweet.