Another diff/lsd question

Glancn

celica gt-four rear lsd diff are T series torsen as with most 90's 4wd toyota wagons

Found that on 3TC.com forums. He's a dude from NZ (is he on here too?)

What does "torsen" mean and has anyone tried fitting a rear gt4 lsd into a 6.7" T series rwd diff?

A torsen LSD works exactly the opposite way to a normal diff.

It sends all of the power to the wheel with the *most* grip.

Another thing that's cool about it, is that you dont have to lose grip, spin a wheel etc to get the LSD effect happening. So you maintain effective grip at higher speeds without stepping the rear out.

Disadvantage of torsen is that they are unpredictable if you lift a wheel in the air, or if you are pitching the car out sideways, etc.

Ah true. So at the end of the day, if I can score one of these for cheap (and if it will actually fit easily into my housing) I should just go for one of these rather than saving for a TRD $$$?

Other option of course is to lock a spare one to use for track day : D

Depends on what you're wanting to use the car for.

Torsen can be great, forumula one cars run torsen diffs if I recall.

However if you're drifting, wanting to do donuts, rally, etc, then they're not so great. Good for track stuff, and road driving, but if you're wanting a more 'traditional' sort of LSD, then a plate type one is the way to go. 8)

I've got a plate type LSD in my MR2, replacing the standard torsen. It probably makes my car handle worse when driven at the limit than what it would be like with the torsen IMO, but it's awesome for doing stupid stuff in the car. :P