Electric Fan Setup

corrupt

Ive had to remove the standard fan which runs off the waterpump to make way for the supercharger drive belt, which ment i had to go with an electric one. I have one all mounted up sweet now and now thinking what is the best way to power/hook it up. Its a 12v one off a ae111 levin, looks just like the ones from supercheap. When ive hooked it up to the battery to test it, it seems to blow an awful lot, much more than i reckon it needs to blow all the time, so was thinking of getting a large resistor or something to drop it down to half speed (6v) for normal driving, and have a switch inside the car to increase it to 12v when in traffic etc. Ideas/recommendations?

set it up w/ thermo switch.

resistor will be pox. once you're over like 30kph there's more than enough airflow to cool most engines.......

for example - the fans on my peugeots only cut in if i'm sitting in traffic.idling for more than about 5-10min, once it's warmed up. under normal driving it just runs about 1/3 up the temp gauge, which is right where the thermostat opening temperature is..... sitting idling the fans cut in at aroun 2/3-3/4 up the gauge.....

pug ones cut in @ half speed, unless the temp gets to the top of the scale, then they cut to full speed (12v supply)

on the 205 I've rigged a bypass by way of a switch.realy setup to run at fullspeed on demand.

If I was retrofitting electric fans to something like you have, I'd be inclined to rig a thermoswitch, and an over-ride switch.... That way it's not running all the time, thus cutting electrical load, and is switched automatically in case you forget to switch it on....

sweet, think ill be getting one of them jaycar kits. but just for comparison how much are the ones "of the shelf" at shops etc, might not be worth my time making up a kit only to save $10 etc

If you are going injected the ECU should drive the fan or are you still thinking carbed?

sweet, think ill be getting one of them jaycar kits. but just for comparison how much are the ones "of the shelf" at shops etc, might not be worth my time making up a kit only to save $10 etc

If you are going injected the ECU should drive the fan or are you still thinking carbed?

efi is still on the books, but will be a little while off, so need something until then.

have ordered one of them jaycar kits, been a while since ive soldered bits on to a pcb, should be fun.

efi is still on the books, but will be a little while off, so need something until then.

have ordered one of them jaycar kits, been a while since ive soldered bits on to a pcb, should be fun.

Well if that's the case I'd get the Jaycar Voltage switch. You can use this to control the fan off the existing temp sensor but once you get injection and the ECU is running the fan you can use the voltage switch running off the temp sensor to bleed in more air during cold start :wink:

already ordered the temp one so will be getting that one, although my temp gauge hasnt worked in years, either that or the engine is running really cold. i should really get a new sender unit for it sometime.

already ordered the temp one so will be getting that one, although my temp gauge hasnt worked in years, either that or the engine is running really cold. i should really get a new sender unit for it sometime.

earth the wire on the block. if the gauge goes off the scale at the high end it's working choice.

oh, pwn

earth the wire on the block. if the gauge goes off the scale at the high end it's working choice.

oh, pwn

WILL TEST AFTER WORK!

Guest WESTCORT

Well if that's the case I'd get the Jaycar Voltage switch. You can use this to control the fan off the existing temp sensor but once you get injection and the ECU is running the fan you can use the voltage switch running off the temp sensor to bleed in more air during cold start :wink:

im doin this also, can you link to this switch you speak of? if i get this kit i wont need another switch put into my system anywhere? just chuck another wire over my temp gauge sender?

c

No you want more air, hence often nursing the pedal on cold start. He means you can use the switch to open a valve to let in more air when it is cold, when it warms up the sensor will turn the switch off closing the valve.

ok, got my adjustable temperature switch and soldered it all up, now i gotta set it to switch at the right temp etc. it has two onboard relays to mess with, and i plan to have fan running at 6v always, then when it gets to a certain temp it switches to 12v. how do i go about dropping 12v down to 6v easily? can you just run a resistor? im guessing itll have to be some big hardcore one, not one of your usual teeny weeny ones, which shops are likely to have them?

ok, got my adjustable temperature switch and soldered it all up, now i gotta set it to switch at the right temp etc. it has two onboard relays to mess with, and i plan to have fan running at 6v always, then when it gets to a certain temp it switches to 12v. how do i go about dropping 12v down to 6v easily? can you just run a resistor? im guessing itll have to be some big hardcore one, not one of your usual teeny weeny ones, which shops are likely to have them?

poss. use ignition ballast resistor? they've got that huyge porcelain insulator/heatsink. would be choice.

6 running all the time = totally pointless dude, all you're doing is loading up your alternator constantly